89 Mustang, Speakers Advise

hey guys, i need some help with my speakers in my mustang. i have a pioneer deh-p5900ib head unit, 8 speakers throught the car. there are 2 kicker 4in in the dash, 6.5 polks in the doors, 2 kicker tweeters right above the door frame right in your ear, and 2 polk 6/9s in the rear.

i know the polks have to go, but it doesnt seem like theres enough output to be able to hear them with subs. i like bass but i like my stereos well rounded, i like hearing everything. i didnt install the stereo in my car it came with the speakers only and no wires at all ran for the speakers. i got all the wiring done and put in the head unit and it sounds good but it seems like it really lacks for haveing 8 speakers and having the tweeters right in your ear. i dont know if he has the crossover set up for the tweeters so it might not be getting the right frequency, i had the wires and recever installed at circuit city because it was free for everything all they charged me was for the reciever. the guy who i baught the car from said he ran amps to the speakers, i dont know wheather to do this or not. i really dont know a lot about speakers so would the amp add output or clarity? if i hooked up an amp to them would it make them louder or just make them distort? there is no distortion at all right know other than the passenger door speakers blown

im planning on getting a single 12 fi q with probably a cheep hifonics amp or if i have the patience to wait get a us amps md1. would this be a good match?

• 1 month later...
hey guys, i need some help with my speakers in my mustang. i have a pioneer deh-p5900ib head unit, 8 speakers throught the car. there are 2 kicker 4in in the dash, 6.5 polks in the doors, 2 kicker tweeters right above the door frame right in your ear, and 2 polk 6/9s in the rear.

i know the polks have to go, but it doesnt seem like theres enough output to be able to hear them with subs. i like bass but i like my stereos well rounded, i like hearing everything. i didnt install the stereo in my car it came with the speakers only and no wires at all ran for the speakers. i got all the wiring done and put in the head unit and it sounds good but it seems like it really lacks for haveing 8 speakers and having the tweeters right in your ear. i dont know if he has the crossover set up for the tweeters so it might not be getting the right frequency, i had the wires and recever installed at circuit city because it was free for everything all they charged me was for the reciever. the guy who i baught the car from said he ran amps to the speakers, i dont know wheather to do this or not. i really dont know a lot about speakers so would the amp add output or clarity? if i hooked up an amp to them would it make them louder or just make them distort? there is no distortion at all right know other than the passenger door speakers blown

im planning on getting a single 12 fi q with probably a cheep hifonics amp or if i have the patience to wait get a us amps md1. would this be a good match?

Yes absolutely, you should run an amp on mids and highs if you want them to go loud, also set up your amp to be loud at lower volume so you don't have distortion if that makes sense. the reason you aren't getting loud now is that there is too much of a draw on your headunit for 8 speakers, I have an 89 trunk (check it out if you want) and I only run the 3.5s in the dash off the HU, and the 6.5 2-ways and 5x7 2-ways off of an alpine 4-ch amp, and let me tell you this, I never turn it over 1/2 volume cuz its way loud. I would definately opt for the Fi Q and a hifonics bxi1606 if you want to keep the price low, but you might be a lil louder off that amp with the SSD. Hope I helped in some way.

Edited by bigjoe302boss

dc lvl 4xl 12

kicker zx1500

2 sets of kicker ds6.5s

optima yellow top (extra batt) with big 3

1/0 guage and 3 150amp anls

eclipse cd5000 headunit

pk, it sounds to me like it would be worth the time and effort to go through the whole system front to back and see what is really going on behind the scenes.

Any time I help out one of the local folks here at home, I start by taking a pencil and paper and sketch out a simple basic system diagram as the car sits. That way I can look at it objectively afterwards and figure out where to start improving. Heck, a couple of times I actually found wiring problems just while I was looking and writing (I like those, they are the easy fixes... LOL)

Anyhow, you might be surprised at what you find in there... bass blockers, wimpy wiring to the speakers... hard to say really.

Other than that, I'm with bigjoe on this one...

If you can afford it, amp all of the speakers. Then you know you've got control over everything ;)B)