Sonic Electronix

DD-1 Questions and Old School Rockford Fosgate

Just got my DD-1 the other day. Thanks SMD, nice piece of equipment. Now, I just need some help setting up my stuff.

Grand National:

RFX-9420 source unit 8 volt pre-outs (remember those?). When I put the DD-1 on it last night, it appeared that the source unit did not distort at full volume on the mids/highs RCA's or the sub RCA's which is not surprising. With everything flat on the source unit, and gains flat on the mids/highs amp (Punch 4040dsm) I put the DD-1 on the amps output channel. I noticed the distortion light on at volume 30 out of 30 with the gains all the way down so I started backing it down until the distortion light went out at volume 23. Mind you the X-cards are set to 80hz high pass when the instructions show that my amps should be set to the highest frequency or full range. I did NOT change the X-cards. Its a pain in the ass. Do I need to put the amps on full range for any reason? I know the amp will put out more power and not be "restricted" full range but if thats now how Im going to be running them wouldnt I be losing output by changing the amp to full range? I also checked the sub amp (Punch 200ix for now) and it allowed me at volume 23 to adjust the gain up very slightly and the bass boost about halfway before the distortion light came on. I know there are a lot of questions here and I have lots more. But I just really need some input from you fellow bass heads. I dont want to damage my equipment and like most of you, want to get the most out of what I have. After the adjustments made last night I popped the SMD disc out, popped in PSYPH MORRISON and HOLZY SHIZZZBALLZ does it sound good! :) Any intput would be great.

IMPALA SS:

Ill get into this after we discuss the GN :)

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

1986 Buick Regal Grand National(1) RFD2210 1.25 CUFT @ 38hz Slot PortRFX-9420, Punch 4080dsm, Power 250m22003 Mercury Marauder - Dark Blue PearlDDX-419, T600-4, T2652-S, HPC2205

(Currently Working on Designing an Enclosure)

Did the mids/highs on the Impala SS last night, wow. Still looking for some input on if I need to change my X-cards to full range or not. Thanks :)

1986 Buick Regal Grand National(1) RFD2210 1.25 CUFT @ 38hz Slot PortRFX-9420, Punch 4080dsm, Power 250m22003 Mercury Marauder - Dark Blue PearlDDX-419, T600-4, T2652-S, HPC2205

the 4040dsm can sustain a maximum rca input voltage of 2v. thats why you have to turn the volume down so much, so the preout voltage drops to ~2v. and the 200ix can handle a max of 3v, so hence why you can turn the volume up slightly more

the 4040dsm can sustain a maximum rca input voltage of 2v. thats why you have to turn the volume down so much, so the preout voltage drops to ~2v. and the 200ix can handle a max of 3v, so hence why you can turn the volume up slightly more

Looks like I am wasting all the pre-out signal voltage of the RFX-9420 by running these old amps then huh? Maybe I should take that out and put in my RFX-9220m as a better match for these old amplifiers?

Can anyone chime in on the X-card questions? I set up both cars today without changing the X-cards from their current configurations. (SMD says to set gains with frequency all the way up)

Thank you

Looks like I am wasting all the pre-out signal voltage of the RFX-9420 by running these old amps then huh? Maybe I should take that out and put in my RFX-9220m as a better match for these old amplifiers?

Can anyone chime in on the X-card questions? I set up both cars today without changing the X-cards from their current configurations. (SMD says to set gains with frequency all the way up)

Thank you

Personally I would take the time to deal with the xovers. I wouldn't worry about how much pre-out voltage you are wasting if you are accomplishing the same goal by keeping your amps gains low.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Well, if Im setting the mids/highs amps on both cars with the X-cards in the 80hz high pass configuration what will I gain by changing them to full range if they are always going to be playing 80hz and above anyway? Im really asking because I just dont want to damage my equipment.

I did pretty well by ear but I was no match for the SMD DD-1. Both my systems sound incredible now. Thanks SMD.

well xovers points are slopes, not hard cut offs. With the high pass side, there should be no part of 1k that gets cut off by a 80hz xover point. There shouldn't be any part of a 40hz tone that gets cut off by a 80hz low pass either but I just wouldn't chance it.

Basically you always want to set your gain(s) with as much of an un-processed signal as possible.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

well xovers points are slopes, not hard cut offs. With the high pass side, there should be no part of 1k that gets cut off by a 80hz xover point. There shouldn't be any part of a 40hz tone that gets cut off by a 80hz low pass either but I just wouldn't chance it.

Basically you always want to set your gain(s) with as much of an un-processed signal as possible.

Thank you, great explanation. Ill re-do my adjustments and see if it makes a difference. :)

Archived