Sonic Electronix

But I guess is why do you need to build some crazy contraption to know what power your amp makes when a legit company will not give false ratings????

And ok so you tested your amp, and it does 20billion watts rms like the company said... You hook it to your woofers and after your normal 2-4X impedance rise your amp only does 5billion to 10billion watts..... So you achieved nothing in the end. Unless you plan on making a subwoofer in a day that does not have impedance rise too! lmao

But I guess is why do you need to build some crazy contraption to know what power your amp makes when a legit company will not give false ratings????

And ok so you tested your amp, and it does 20billion watts rms like the company said... You hook it to your woofers and after your normal 2-4X impedance rise your amp only does 5billion to 10billion watts..... So you achieved nothing in the end. Unless you plan on making a subwoofer in a day that does not have impedance rise too! lmao

maybe he just wants to make something to play with just to see if he can? i know we've all taken apart a remote or a vcr or something at some point just for the hell of it. he did say he's got an extra day to occupy his time.

I thought I could just go off of the various wiring diagrams on google.

I am under the impression that a basic clipping detector would illuminate an led if the signal starts to go from ac to dc because of clipping - which is very different from the DD-1 which as I understand it, detects any level of distorion. Since clipping is a form of distortion, then the DD-1 detects it. Since what I want to to is vastly more simplistic, why is it unreasonable to sit down and put it together in a day.

Correct me if I am completely off base since my background is a high school kid who wants to learn about this stuff

But there is more then that just for a clipping indicator to work properly.. Stetsom, Audio Que, Digital Designs, plus many more amps have clipping indicators, and all 3 have been proven to be wrong, and way off, not only by the O-scope, but by the dd-1 too..

So at any rate, you will be getting the short end of the stick during testing because you will would not turn up the volume once you see your makeshift indicator flash, even tho it will not be anywhere accurate, thus resulting in very inaccurate tests.

IMO making the whole deal and time wasted, since its something you seem to already understand, but to do it for no reason is pointless, without proper measuring equitment which will costs a easy 600$ (dd-1, true rms clamp and dmm, or even a o-scope and a clamp and dmm).

At any point to get any sort of accurate testes you might as well save that money from buying legit tools to get a legit test and put it towards the new thing D'amore Enginnering is making. http://damoreengineering.com/upcoming.html vids on youtube if you have not already seen.

But I am sorry for adding technical and factual information that you do not want to comprehend or listen too.

So with that my friend, go do your experiments and hopefully you don't blow up some expensive audio gear in your path to know what is already known and proven.

Good night to you sir!

So building a clipping indicator and using the variable resistance in a ceramic heater to test an amplifier is achieving nothing? I think it'd teach someone who is interested in the field alot. KUDOS to people interested in electrical engineering, the world is a better place because of you

maybe he just wants to make something to play with just to see if he can? i know we've all taken apart a remote or a vcr or something at some point just for the hell of it. he did say he's got an extra day to occupy his time.

YES!

I like projects, and have time to do one. So why not?

Folks: I'm not looking for a crash course about what brands to buy and quality and anything else. I'm just looking to have some fun and learn about this stuff.

So building a clipping indicator and using the variable resistance in a ceramic heater to test an amplifier is achieving nothing? I think it'd teach someone who is interested in the field alot. KUDOS to people interested in electrical engineering, the world is a better place because of you

You are not building nothing, you are cutting a plug off a heater and hooking it up to a $4 potentiometer from radio shack and hooking it up to your speaker outputs.

And yes, you are achieving nothing but getting test results reputable manufactures already list at multiple voltages and impedance's. However since you dont have the needed tools to test the acutal output of an amplifier all your going to do is make a heater hot, likes intended purpose.

facepalm......

You are not building nothing, you are cutting a plug off a heater and hooking it up to a $4 potentiometer from radio shack and hooking it up to your speaker outputs.

And yes, you are achieving nothing but getting test results reputable manufactures already list at multiple voltages and impedance's. However since you dont have the needed tools to test the acutal output of an amplifier all your going to do is make a heater hot, likes intended purpose.

facepalm......

You certainly know how to kill a man's spirit don't you...

You certainly know how to kill a man's spirit don't you...

Why? Because I provided proven facts to back my statements?

I'm sorry I gave you the CORRECT answers, with the necessary testing items needed that you don't have to even do your experiments and even get halfway legit results. Even tho you don't want to hear it, and still don't want to hear it.

I guess I live in the real world and I don't take a trolly to make believe land like some.

And if you care that much about some truths a guy says on the internet says, you have way more issues Id concentrate on before attempting this. If it was me, Id be trying to prove the person wrong, not crawling back under a rock.