Sonic Electronix

camera/camcorder specifically for high-SPL audio demos (highs/bass)

So I've discovered my otherwise awesome Canon SD3500IS sucks wind at taking videos of car audio, it clips to hell all over the place, on both highs and bass. I'm willing to spend up to $500 for a new camera or camcorder that will be able to handle the volume. I KNOW you guys can give suggestions because I see videos all the time around here of outrageous systems with no clipping...

Edited by Merzbow

My oooold cheap camera seems to do a better job on audio videos than my Cannon PowerShot does.

Just like you are saying about yours- the little mic inside bails long before anything even starts to get good. Mine even has some sort of feature that can adjust to the higher and lower volumes... yeah, no dice with that either.

Wish I knew- maybe try a old cheapie off ebay? ...unless you are after newer with HD.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

take a 6.5 inch pro audio speaker and convert it to a microphone. should be able to handle the volume fairly well. ive tested it before but i get a ton of noise which i am not sure if it is the sensitivity of the speaker or the fact that i spliced an old cable pretty shoddily

but i believe that is the answer here. you need something that is capable of moving more than a standard mic. however it will only pick up the LOUD sounds and probably have a muffled sound to it.

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

I have a Canon vixia hv30 that was amazing for bass vids. YouTube cmcgregor0928 and look at the Taylor show vid.

And would sell it for $450 shipped with some accessories

Yeah, apparently the better Canon camcorders have something called "manual audio control" which can be used to dial-in the audio sensitivity. All expensive though. I could pay up for something like this which is guaranteed to work or roll the dice on something like a Kodak which may or may not work (the Zi8 has been replaced with some other line). I think I may have to furiously abuse Best Buy's return policy.