Second Skin Audio

You would need to do lab quality testing. Vehicles have way too many variables, you can't control the environment (unless you are in an enclosed area). And you would need to insure that they are installed and tested at the same temp.

Issue with using aluminum cans is that they are extremely thin (something like .0047") and most vehicle's are made with 22 gauge steel (.0313 inches), something like 6.5 times thicker.

Just to give you an idea, the standardized testing method (Oberst Bar SAE J1637/ASTM E-756) uses a 1.56mm thick bar (0.0614") as the substrate for the damping material.

Well dang. I thought that would be a great experiment, and something I'd love to do. Computer case steel is close to the same gauge as well.

I don't exactly have the expensive tools to do this perfectly, but I figured it would be an enjoyable experiment.

A better way would be to use a sheet metal of similar thickness in a lab with a directional microphone and use a different piece of sheet metal for each damp that way there is no possible residue on the metal, plus after multiple tests a single sheet could start having minute physical deformations that could interfere with results over time.

lol, Exactly.

And testing these materials scientifically or not scientifically is quite a lot of fun. Some products surprise the crap out of you...

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

If i can come up with the resources for a lab test I would be happy to conduct one if no one has by that point in time. (well documented by video of course for all the haters)

Also i am working on an idea for the thing we talked about via email back in like June or July.

Edited by bcpballer64

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

A better way would be to use a sheet metal of similar thickness in a lab with a directional microphone and use a different piece of sheet metal for each damp that way there is no possible residue on the metal, plus after multiple tests a single sheet could start having minute physical deformations that could interfere with results over time.

lol, Exactly.

And testing these materials scientifically or not scientifically is quite a lot of fun. Some products surprise the crap out of you...

So maybe a scientifically extreme experiment, as well as a average joe set up. See how these compare, and make conclusions. :drink40:

If i can come up with the resources for a lab test I would be happy to conduct one if no one has by that point in time. (well documented by video of course for all the haters)

Also i am working on an idea for the thing we talked about via email back in like June or July.

Sounds good. And yes I remember what we were talking about, I hope you can pull it off. :drinks:

So maybe a scientifically extreme experiment, as well as a average joe set up. See how these compare, and make conclusions. :drink40:

Yeah an average Joe test would be awesome.

I'd be more than happy to offer up some of the harder to find products if need be. I think all totaled up I spent close to $700 on product to test... so I know how expensive it can get.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png