Sundown Audio

Help me set my gains!! :)

Hifonics

Hello all,

Recently I've been called a noob. So, with that said, I am making this thread to fix that. I have a hifonics BXI2610D that is rated at 2600RMS. I have recently blown a 15" BTL. I don't want this to happen again... I am trying to learn but I am a bit confused when it comes to bass boost. I realise that the gain is supposed to be set to the voltage on your head unit.

Currently my eq is flat, bass boost is off on the headunit, subwoofer is set to +6 (max). I have two questions:

1. I have "BASS EQ" setting on my amp.. should that be set to 0?

2. I have a "level" knob that connects to the remote connection on the amp. Should I ditch this? The installer cranked the amp gain 100% and is using the remote as the gain. Is this good?

I am not impressed with the installer's work and now am determined to do all my own installing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's a pic of my gains..

2dm5rvm.jpg

Edited by Hifonics

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-Pioneer GM-D9500F 4-channel
-2 Crescendo FT1

-2 Crescendo Neo Forte 6.5

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-6000K HID Headlights/Fog lights
-All LED interior lighting
-20% tint on front windows, 1% rear windows, 5% windshield strip
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

-Group 65 NorthStar AGM battery

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log
-Blacked out mirror reflectors
-Tinted tails/3rd brake light

Yea not good. Do yourself a favor and either buy yourself a smd dd1 through westcoastcaraudo or find someone in your area who has one and have them find your max non distorted volume and set your gains the right way. And bass boost should be at zero and the level is your gain and should not he turned that high.

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

Yea not good. Do yourself a favor and either buy yourself a smd dd1 through westcoastcaraudo or find someone in your area who has one and have them find your max non distorted volume and set your gains the right way. And bass boost should be at zero and the level is your gain and should not he turned that high.

Hey! Thanks for the reply. So bass eq on amp should be zero'd out? And also, I have a remote "gain level" knob. That's why the gain is set to full on the amp because I control it from the remote. Should I ditch the remote and just use the amp to set it? If I put the voltage on the gain on the amp to match my radio voltage (4v), will the remote at max be the voltage on the amp (4v)? Thanks bud

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-2 Crescendo FT1

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log

Well he got one right. That would make me mad. But like said get a dd-1. Don't ditch the bass knob but if you get a dd-1 set the fains with the bass knob on max. That way you can use the knob to its full potential.

Edited by vettedude102

2 polk audio 4x6'skenwood head-unit 220 amp Mechman alt1979 Corvette

2003 corvette z06

alpine radio and the bose system that came stock

new pic in case old one doesnt work

2dm5rvm.jpg

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-2 Crescendo FT1

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log

Hey! Thanks for the reply. So bass eq on amp should be zero'd out? And also, I have a remote "gain level" knob. That's why the gain is set to full on the amp because I control it from the remote. Should I ditch the remote and just use the amp to set it? If I put the voltage on the gain on the amp to match my radio voltage (4v), will the remote at max be the voltage on the amp (4v)? Thanks bud

What kind of knob is it? Is it the one that came with the amp. Not sure, but that may be a bass boost knob and not a remote gain knob. Either way, your gain is set to full which is way too high. If you want to attempt to re-adjust ( which you NEED to ) to just "match" the 4 volts that your H.U puts out then do so and turn it down. But the real way to do it would to set it with the DD1. If you cant find someone with a dd1, then see if you can find someone who has a o-scope and set it with that. But you need to find the max volume first of the deck then set your gains. There is a access list on I believe the tool section on people who have a DD1 and o-scope.

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

Phase, subsonic, and low pass all look fine. Turn Bass EQ all the way down to 0. Turn the gain (or "Level") all the way down, then turn your remote bass knob all the way up and then adjust the gain on the amp.

Do not turn the gain up too high on the amp until you have access to an oscilloscope or a DD-1. You would then need to test both your head unit and amp to set it right. If you follow the first link in my sig and read the second post in that thread it should make more sense.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Thanks for the help! Should be very clean power now

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-2 Crescendo FT1

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log

also if you have a crossover check it with an Oscope

Hi SMD Members If anybody has computer problems and is an SMD member with at least 150 posts I will fix your problems for free by phone support or I can also fix your computer over the internet.... I have references such as All State insurance, Nationwide Insurance and much more... just p.m me for help.. I am not the greatest with when it comes to audio systems so I figured I could contribute to the forum this way.... Thanks David

I will be getting the DD-1 near december ish... so this advice is golden for me! Thanks!!

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-2 Crescendo FT1

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP