Second Skin Audio

The "Scrap Wood Sixth Order"

Autruche

I think you'll be surprised by how good it sounds, you did an awesome job

i've build numerous 6.5 and 6x9 boxes outta scrap, and 1 1 cub sub box, the thing was awesome to test directions inside of any vehicle

Thanks. Yeah, I love building experimental boxes, you never know what might work better.

What are the ports tuned to? How much volume front and rear and (mainly) How does it sound?

Great design by the way and a cool idea to make it out of scraps. If this one really performs, you could always make another (probably improved) one out of whatever you like.

3 cubes rear, 4 cubes front, 33 sq in @25Hz for the LF (rear) port, 144 sq in @65Hz for the HF (front) port. Peaks in high 40s to low 50s from what I can tell here at home. The front port definitely needs to be tuned lower. Maybe around 45-50Hz. I want the peak to be around 40Hz and be able to get down to about 20Hz.

This is sweet. Can't wait to see how it sounds!

It needs to see some real power. I brought it in the house to test it on ~50 watts and at full tilt it hurts my ears to put my head in the port.

Dude, those "kerf" ended up looking awesome if you ask me, that was a great idea, sadly i don´t have a tool to make those cuts :(

anyways, great job for sure, tuned in for more pics and vids :)

Kerfing MDF didn't work for me, so I used cardboard tubes from rolls of newspaper we get at work.

sweet series 6th order. nice job making hp port removeable/tunable. finicky little buggers those 6th orders can be

Had to make it removable in order to install and remove the sub. Interchangeable HF port is just a benefit.

really nice design. :good:

i do think the rear chamber should be a bit smaller tho...

Yes, I wanted about 2.25-2.5 rear, but that made me have to add way too much to the port length.

That box is pimp. Can't wait to see it bumpin, too.

I'd love to know about how to tune series tuned 6th orders, there's lots of info on teh internetz about dual tuned 6th orders but nothing about series tuned. Do you have any resources or is it strictly on a build-n-try thing?

I just took notes on what others running series tuned ones had done. Especially from Steve Laughton's build and a couple of Mike Singer's builds. I have enough knowledge to get me pointed in the right direction, the rest is just going to have to come from experience.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

I know you didn´t kerf and used cardboard tubes, that´s why i said "kerf" :santa:

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

took notes on what others running series tuned ones had done. Especially from Steve Laughton's build and a couple of Mike Singer's builds. I have enough knowledge to get me pointed in the right direction, the rest is just going to have to come from experience.

hey look! i'm famous!!! hahaha

SMD-1.png

I know you didn´t kerf and used cardboard tubes, that´s why i said "kerf" :santa:

I think flared might have been a better term. :pardon:

took notes on what others running series tuned ones had done. Especially from Steve Laughton's build and a couple of Mike Singer's builds. I have enough knowledge to get me pointed in the right direction, the rest is just going to have to come from experience.

hey look! i'm famous!!! hahaha

I'd say, lol. 155s in the mid 20s range is pretty damn impressive, especially since 6 15s isn't a ridiculous amount of cone area.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Archived