Second Skin Audio

stinky coils

qcbangin

i have an AQ hdc3 18" powered by a power acoustik BAMF5500. amp claims 1700rms at 4ohms, and 3200rms at 1ohm. had the sub wired to 4ohms, and it was barely moving, so i re-wired it to 1ohm. don't have anyone around here with an o-scope, or dd-1 so not sure if my gains are set correctly. the shops i contacted all set gains by "ear". i have my head unit eq on flat, sub volume at +6(anything less and the sub doesn't get much power, bass on 0, loud off. my amp gains are subsonic about 1/3 up, gain about 1/3 up, low pass about 1/3, and bass boost all the way down. checked all grounds, they're good, and voltage at the amp isn't dropping below 12.5volts. my problem is after about 2minutes of hard listening the sub starts getting stinky. what else could be causing it? i'm also running red top in the trunk.

are you maxing out volume on your headunit? +6 seems a bit high for subwoofer level as well i usually go +3 at most. my 18 slams on an aq1200 never gets smelly and ive played it for hours. im guessing dirty power somewhere in your setup most likely the amp.

that amp DOES NOT clamp at 1700 watts at 4 ohm. thats the specs for it. it is a generous rating for the amp. u need a better amp.

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

I would turn that sub vol back down to 0. That would be your first thing to do. Next get a scope or dd-1. You would be surprised how much clipping you get when changing the sub vol. You would need to set that with your gains to make sure it is never clipping. I would take it easy on your system until you get the proper equipment to set you system correctly.

Rebuild Log with the SMD

CURRENT..

Honda Accord Coupe

Porsche Cayenne S

Lexus CT200

Lexus ES300 (sold)

99 Lexus RX 300 (sold)

ADDING

Honda - Hertz setup, more to come

Porsche - Fi BL, XS Power, more to come

coming soon..
peep the old rebuild log of the Lexus RX

i've tried to go through just about every setting in the head unit. the highest i've gone on the volume is 42, but generally i don't go over 30. it has been wired to 1ohm for about a week now, and it just started getting stinky yesterday. besides the sub volume, does everything else sound about right? could an air leak somewhere in the box cause this problem?

every shop on town does the same thing. They set the gains by ear and once i got my hand on the dd-1 wow hands down.

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

Its the amp man no way it does that power hell I have mine on 1000 each and there loud as hell.

--2004 Toyota 4runner

New Build Log

-2002 Acura Tl-S

Old Build Log

Team DC Audio

ttf.png

spl dust is an option you can get on the coils... it's great for extra 1000 watts of power

where can i get this spl dust and how much is it. is it hard to apply? lol

i know it doesn't do anywhere near what it's rated, thats why i said it "claims" that amount. i know i need a better amp, but i can't afford it right now, so it's what i have to use

that amp DOES NOT clamp at 1700 watts at 4 ohm. thats the specs for it. it is a generous rating for the amp. u need a better amp.

i've tried to go through just about every setting in the head unit. the highest i've gone on the volume is 42, but generally i don't go over 30. it has been wired to 1ohm for about a week now, and it just started getting stinky yesterday. besides the sub volume, does everything else sound about right? could an air leak somewhere in the box cause this problem?

is the coil starting to burn out what colour is it

Red light rev ya engines..light goes green u take off, petal to the floor.I take it slow but some how seem to catch up with u at he next red.So u think u can do it again.light goes green you stall..i put my foot down just to show u what fast really looks like :)

Archived