Second Skin Audio

Question for you genius's!

Ive been messin around with torres box calc and i have some spare wood layin around. While i save for my new subs i want to build a ported box for my mtx 4000 10" i pretty much got it all figured out between the 12 volt calculator and torres. I want the box tuned to 33 htz. the problem is i cant figure out how to find port width? please help me! Ill be usin a slot port btw. this is my first ported box

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

Just keep playing around with numbers until you get 33hz . That's what I did when I was playing around with it.

subwoofers - two eclipse 88120s

box - 3.4 cubes tuned to 32 hz

amps - aq1200 and pheonix gold zx450

New build :

2 obsidian audio 15s

same amp

6.1 cubic foot box tuned to 32 hz in a civic hatch

Just keep playing around with numbers until you get 33hz . That's what I did when I was playing around with it.

haha thanks man but id like to really learn how to do this :/ i am very passionate about it

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

haha thanks man but id like to really learn how to do this :/ i am very passionate about it

Port width..? Just try to stay within a 9:1 Height to Width ratio to avoid tuning shifts. Basically, just make the port height as tall as your box minus 1.5" (for internal measurements). Then just punch a number in for port width that sets you in the correct port area range. Usually between 12"-16" of port area per cubic foot of box volume is a good general rule of thumb.

'11 Jeep Patriot New Build

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD

Front: Massive CK69 Components

Front Amp: Massive NX2

Rears: Infinity Kappa's

Subs: 8 Sundown SA-8 v2's

Sub Amp: AB 450.1

XS D3100

Come on 150!

Port width..? Just try to stay within a 9:1 Height to Width ratio to avoid tuning shifts. Basically, just make the port height as tall as your box minus 1.5" (for internal measurements). Then just punch a number in for port width that sets you in the correct port area range. Usually between 12"-16" of port area per cubic foot of box volume is a good general rule of thumb.

okay i did an 11 inch high port, 2 inches wide and that gave me 15.94 inches ^2 of port area per foot. then i put that in on 12 volt slot port length calculator and i got 32.42" long. put that in on torres and it puts me at like 51 hrtz. What am i doing wrong??

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

okay i did an 11 inch high port, 2 inches wide and that gave me 15.94 inches ^2 of port area per foot. then i put that in on 12 volt slot port length calculator and i got 32.42" long. put that in on torres and it puts me at like 51 hrtz. What am i doing wrong??

Go to the "# of common port wall" box and put 3. What are you using for dimensions?

Edited by loudNlow87

XS D3100

Come on 150!

Go to the "# of common port wall" box and put 3. What are you using for dimensions?

12Hx15Wx20D I am using 1/2" wood. and dont i have 1 common wall because the port will be on the far side? so the side of the box will be used as a port wall?

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

Don't use 1/2" plywood. It's gonna flex like crazy. And that box is just too small. By the time you tune it low enough you have about a 1/2 a cube of volume. Go wider. And using the side of box for a slot port is 3 common walls.

Edited by loudNlow87

XS D3100

Come on 150!

Don't use 1/2" plywood. It's gonna flex like crazy. And that box is just too small. By the time you tune it low enough you have about a 1/2 a cube of volume. Go wider. And using the side of box for a slot port is 3 common walls.

shit this is confusing haha. thank you for your help tho

Edited by Twostrokeking

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif