Second Skin Audio

New to box building

My buddy asked me if I could help him build a box for his subs in his one cabin truck.

I told him I have no idea about how to build or tune boxes but I'll try my best to help.

He's more clueless then I am when it comes to this stuff.

He told me he wanted his box ported so I started mocking up a design with the dimensions he gave me.

Here are the max dimensions:

55W, 18H, 9.5 Depth

I used

50W, 17H, 9 Depth

I tried matching up the recommended cubic feet on the subs the best I can, which would be two of these Kicker 15's.

For one thing, I'm not sure since he's going to have two subs if the recommended box volume should be doubled or not, I got it to 3.15 cubes though.

Next I have no idea on how to tune a port. I ended up with a 4x6 port tuned to 34hz on the top.

I can only assume that this is wrong:

tuner.png

Here's how the sketchup turned out though:

bbox.png

Any help is extremely appreciated.

Remember, I'm here to learn :)

Yes. You have a round port in your model and a 4 x 4 square port in your calculator. Round ports are more efficient than square/slot, so you don't need as much area as would with a square/slot. But you should stay within the "Port Area Range" it provides. You only have 5.08 inches per foot. You should have at least 9-10 per foot if you're using round ports. Not sure which you plan on using though..?

'11 Jeep Patriot New Build

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD

Front: Massive CK69 Components

Front Amp: Massive NX2

Rears: Infinity Kappa's

Subs: 8 Sundown SA-8 v2's

Sub Amp: AB 450.1

XS D3100

Come on 150!

I changed it on the calculator so it's circular instead of square. That was my original intent.

Unti2.png

We're attempting to achieve loud, but still sounding good. Would it be better to seal it off,

especially with the volume specs:

minport.png

Doing the math I'm only getting about 4.4 cubic feet.

So would it be better to seal it off, or just use one?

need to add in woofer displacement. and you see the little box that says "port area per foot" in the bottom right? you need to keep that number between 8-12. 3-4 is waaay too little port area.

also, if you've got two subs the box volume needs to be doubled. the recommendations given are per woofer.

those look like 15's, yes? would be very helpful if you could tell us what 15's they are.

Edited by 412 CVX

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I'd do one ported. With woofer behind the passenger and the port out the driver side.

need to add in woofer displacement. and you see the little box that says "port area per foot" in the bottom right? you need to keep that number between 8-12. 3-4 is waaay too little port area.

those look like 15's, yes? would be very helpful if you could tell us what 15's they are.

They are Kicker Comp 15"s. He posted a link.

I would say 16²-20² of port per cube.

Edited by bassahaulic

I'd do one ported. With woofer behind the passenger and the port out the driver side.

Alright, I'll run that by my buddy.

Let me redesign :)

Edited by SpawnZ

agree with one ported. my experience with kicker is that they like big boxes.

i apologize for missing the link.

lastly where did you get that number?

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

agree with one ported. my experience with kicker is that they like big boxes.

i apologize for missing the link.

lastly where did you get that number?

Which number? The port sizes?

Best sizes I've come up with based on experience.