DC Sound Lab

help with bracing/box (2 XL 15s)

Okay Ive asked this question twice in the sub/enclosure section and haven't gotten an answer....

What is the rule of thumb about adding bracing? Is there somewhere to read about it or something? I know about the triangles/45s in the corners but that's it. I know that bracing is needed across large faces to keep the panels from rattling though.

I'm going to start designing/building the box for my new XLs soon and want to make sure its perfect. I started a pissing contest with my fiancees sisters husband about loudness and want to make sure I whip his ass and show him his shit doesnt bump like he thinks (2 JL 13.5W7s @ 1250 rms ea). he says he did 45s on the dash with the door open in his escalade... Time to make another believer in DC.and show him Jl isn't what everyone thinks

lol

or you can just start hooking shit up together and blow up speakers and your amp

i use all thread in my bracing..wooden dowels will work..make sure you brace the port also..bracing equals strong box and less box= smoother "airflow" out of the box=more spl and your box doesnt rip apart lol also fiberglass resin on the inside is never a bad idea

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

I know the dowel thing, its more where to put them? Every X amount of inches? I know what there for and why they need to be there I just don't know where there is.

I planned over glassing the outside of the box, guess I could do the inside too. Would it take up enough space to ever worry about affecting displaxeent/tuning?

lol

or you can just start hooking shit up together and blow up speakers and your amp

if youre doing the outside of the box you should be fine IMO...maybe post up design? maybe we could pinpoint some areas bracing would be a good idea.

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

in the center of the box, top to bottom, and side to side, if your box is big enough, you might want to add 2 braces in each direction, in that case they would need to be spread out evenly, and i would use the all thread , its thinner than the 1 inch dowle and is just as much sturdy if not more.

Edited by Bmike

2007 trailblazer lthead unit- pioneer p4300dvd

crescendo ft-1 supertweeters

pioneer m650 pros

audiocontrol 2xs crossover

Rockford fosgate p200-2 highsrockford fosgate p400-2 mids1- fi btl 18amps- saz 3500battery- evermax in front, 2 9a31 dekas in rearwires all knuconceptz 1/0 and rcas

are the subs gonna be sitting on the top or on a side? If on top i would go with some 2by 4s because those subs are heavy! But if the are gonna be on the side i would just do the dowels. The bracing is so that the box doesnt flex or, in the case of the subs on the top, bend under the weight of the subs. the more ridged the box is the better it will resonate the sound. Im not aware of any rule on where the bracing is to be placed. i would just do where you thing its needed. i would use AT LEAST 3, 1side to side, 1top to bottom, and 1 front to back.

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

The box is going to be 22x25x36 with subs up port forward. I don't have it sketched up yet waiting and vlbracing displacement. I was thinking of doing a double front baffle to support the subs making the box 25.75 tall. The window line in NY truck is 26"

lol