Second Skin Audio

2 12" L7 2200 watts

I have two older 12" L7 the ones with the flat silver cones, and I am wanting to up grade my amp. I am looking at a jbl bpx2200.1 and was wondering if the two L7's could handle that amount of power in a music friendly enclosure. I probably wont turn the amp up all the way for daily driving except if I am showing off. I was also wondering if someone could help me on a good volume and tuning of a enclosure, been tring to figure it out on Winisd but I cant find a medium, either the box is small or it is tuned high, and I dont know how either will sound. Thanks alot for the help.

Ya that was what I was thinking, I was just wondering if I could put all 2200 watts into them. Also how would a tune of 38 hz. sound. Is that to high if I listen to rap and rock. I really dont know how low notes go in a song. This is my first large amp ported enclosure that I have done. Most everything has been small amps or to manufacturer specs. Just looking for some help. Thanks.

I wouldn't be scared to throw all 2200watts at the L7s for SPL competition...Just don't do it for too long and you will be alright...All you really need is 10 seconds MAX and they will be fine.

For daily driving I honestly wouldn't do it since this is your first "loud" setup.

• 2 weeks later...

ya thats what i was thinking, just didnt know what size box to use, when i Winisd it the subs would reach there peek in a  four cubic foot box at 32hz at only like 1100 watts,  i think i am going to go with a t20001bd now instead of the bpx2200.1 so i want to be in the range of around 1500 watts. I think making the box small to handle the watts is going to make them sound bad, what do you guys think.

I have (2) dual 4ohm S12L7's (generationII's da second yr they came out). Ive had mine for about 3 yrs now. For everyday use I had them hooked to a HCCA 2100 which everybody knows is rated for 1600rms but it gets like 2k maybe a lil more. Im getting all my specs for my new enclosure because Im putting them in my Cutlass (trunk car). The folks at Kicker told me to do each with 2.8ft3 and 33sq2" of port with 16.5" of length, and that was tuned to about 34hz I believe...I cant remember but it was around that Hz range like 32-37hz...I'll have to play with my filter once I get it all in there, but I think he said 34hz though. Im not sure what I wanna push mine with just yet. Probably either a MM2000.1D or a ZX1000.1(each). Might end up with the Autotek though because of the price. From personal experience they will take a grand all day long if u have ur filters and gains set correctly in around a 2.25-3.0ft3 enclosure.

00114-1.jpgTEAM MechMan Alternators