Second Skin Audio

diff between ported vs 4th order

i am planning on upgrading my system, but im still undecided if i should make it ported or a 4th order box, what will be the pros or cons of each, and what would be better

it will be a blowthrough on a silverado, wanting 4 15s

wont be happening soon, but want a foundation to start on, thanks

4 15"s 4th order? Holy blowthrough Batman!

Ported: less space required (more room for batts and amps!), easier to design and build

4th order: much bigger box, wider range of output, difficult to design (definitely pay someone to design it if you've never touched a 4th order)

a 4th order will hit harder across a larger range of notes. A ported box may be super loud within 2-5hz of tuning frequency but will be much quieter on lower and higher notes.

Some bandpasses can have consistent output across a +/-15hz range from the "tuning" frequency.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

4 15"s 4th order? Holy blowthrough Batman!

Ported: less space required (more room for batts and amps!), easier to design and build

4th order: much bigger box, wider range of output, difficult to design (definitely pay someone to design it if you've never touched a 4th order)

a 4th order will hit harder across a larger range of notes. A ported box may be super loud within 2-5hz of tuning frequency but will be much quieter on lower and higher notes.

Some bandpasses can have consistent output across a +/-15hz range from the "tuning" frequency.

thanks, well i was planning on paying someone for the design, the only thing that is holding me is that we use the truck to do landscaping jobs, but hopefully, my dad gets one with the income, and ill be free to do it

4th orders also tend to be more efficient then a regular ported enclosure.. they also tend to be kinda rough on soft parts from what ive heard.. if youre looking to have someone design you a 4th order maybe hit up mike singer and see what he can do for you.. that man has the whole bandpass thing down to a science

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

4th orders also tend to be more efficient then a regular ported enclosure.. they also tend to be kinda rough on soft parts from what ive heard.. if youre looking to have someone design you a 4th order maybe hit up mike singer and see what he can do for you.. that man has the whole bandpass thing down to a science

ok thanks, i was going to ask, ram designs, but mike singer would be better

singer may or may not be able to help..hes backed up like a mofo right now LOL has tons of stuff going on..so ram would be fine his box designed are pretty beast :)

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

Thats pretty much the easiest way to do a blow thru is 4th order or 6th order. A 6th order in a blow thru would be even more crazy

but aren't they even more difficult to do, i would be interested in that also

Archived