Future of Headunits.

I would imagine that cd's will probably die off. Due to storage capability and size. Itunes/ipod has made them unnecessary for a lot of people. Which would you rather have an 6 ounce ipod or 10 lb. container of cd's? You can't scratch an mp3. And with a FLAC player and lossless recordings you have cd quality in digital format. It's no mystery why all these music stores have shut down.

Soon all the new cars will have usb ports and places for flash drives. Built in hard drives with a terabyte of storage. I wouldn't put much faith in radio (FM) either. Pandora, xm, and sirius has more or less made it extinct. Who wants to listen to the same six songs on heavy rotation anyway? lol

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Which would you rather have an 6 ounce ipod or 10 lb. container of cd's? You can't scratch an mp3.

No, but the files can be corrupted. :P

Anyways, yeh, I'm sure it'll get more advanced as technology goes along. Eventually stock systems will all have touch screens and interactive everything. But getting an aftermarket HU will have that and more. Maybe a changeable voice for one. Personally, I like having CDs in my truck. But that's it, if I ever get another car (my truck will always be mine), I'll upgrade quite a bit in that and include an aftermarket HU.

I mean really, the companies that make HUs will want to stay ahead of the game, especially with newer cars and their stock systems. The only thing I am thinking of is if I decide to get an older car (1999 or something like that), would those new head units not function correctly due to the fact that it's an older car with less technology? That'll have to be on their minds as well.

Scion and some other manufacturers have RCA outs on the stock H/U now.

IMO those things aren't really a big deal, soon HDMI connections will be the future.

thats what i think, they will take rca's out and use the hdmi's lol.

Haha you dont meed a full out hdmi cable going to an amp unless you plan to whatch tv on a speaker. Lol

Fiber optics would be really cool tho. I know in home theater the switch from rcas to fiber optics makes a huge difference.

android controlled h/u's will be here in a few months i heard. im waiting to buy a new h/u till then. but i think the RCA's will stick around for a while longer. i mean they worked for like 30 years now so why change it. also think alot more stuff is gonna go wireless like bluetooth for traffic reports and stuff like that. maybe even talk to the cars computer to find out stuff like trouble codes and the life of your oil

forum2_zpsxe3pvakm.jpg