Second Skin Audio

Can someone explain the science behind ported boxes?

sealed boxes tend to have a better range when playing music, hip-hop, trance,house,classic,country,etc...

ported boxes can be tuned to a certin freq. in order to maximize a specifc type of music, ported also tends to get louder, and move more air

sealed boxes tend to be smaller, ported tends to be bigger

in comps youll rarely see a sealed wall or sealed setup in general, due to the fact its really hard to get it a high score on the meter, but one guy off the top of my head that did 160s(?) with a sealed clam would be randy, or assman

im pretty sure that was his sealed setup in the astro

Edited by Freshman6969

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

I don't think thats what he was asking.

thats what it seemed like in my head :/ oh well i tryed

i mean if you mean the math behind it thats a whole nother thing

Edited by Freshman6969

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

29 hz would take away because the higher the frequency the easier it is to get loud. Your box will work better with your vehicle at a higher fq assuming it would be closer to the resonant frequency of the vehicle

idk if that whats ur lookin for either?

Edited by tlee2

6 Sundown X 15s

2 Sundown NS1 V2s

C Pillar 4th order

Bagged Suburban on 24s

http://youtube.com/tlee333

I understand most of it. but I've never tested it for myself. They generally say if you're going for SQ and tuning around 30Hz it will decrease your overall score. I know a guy who raised his tuning from low 30 something to maybe mid-high 40 (judging by the port) and dropped. So I'm just trying to understand the science

2005 Hyundai Elantra

2 DD 3518s

Hifonics XX Maxximus

150.5 @ 57Hz Legal

153.5 Kick

29 hz would take away because the higher the frequency the easier it is to get loud. Your box will work better with your vehicle at a higher fq assuming it would be closer to the resonant frequency of the vehicle

idk if that whats ur lookin for either?

this here is exactly what i'm asking to be explained. The science behind the port says that at frequencies around the tuning frequency of the box the subwoofer will have less excursion resulting in more subwoofer control. But it doesn't explain why tuning to 40hz will give you a higher score than 30Hz

2005 Hyundai Elantra

2 DD 3518s

Hifonics XX Maxximus

150.5 @ 57Hz Legal

153.5 Kick

higher SPL score, or higher SQL score?

IF SPL: then due to efficiency. Most vehicles peak in the 40-60hz range (without structural support) and have more cabin gain in that area due to acting as a secondary enclosure.

IF SQL: then due to a basshead judge or vehicle/amplifier/box/woofer harmonics... or something. who knows.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.