Questions about battery/electrical

I've been looking into batteries and trying to find an alternator for my 90 corolla. My first question is how long do batteries generally last for? I was looking in the used section and people sell 2 year old batteries. I'm not sure which batteries to get but was recommended to use an xs3100 or kinetic2400. I plan to be running off of a lanzar opti700x2 and an aq2200d. How many batteries would I need? And would I definitely have to upgrade my alternator? My car is just a daily driver. Thanks in advance!

We can't determine whether or not you are going to need an HO alt. If your trying to stay on a budget I would recommend doing the big 3, then purchase an XS D3100. THEN monitor your voltage from there and determine whether or not an upgraded alt will be necessary.

2005 VW GTI 1.8T

(4) Fi BTL N2 15s/ 4th order bandpass

(2) Crescendo BC5500s

Crescendo c1000.4

(4) Selenium 6w4p (Q logic Kicks)

Crescendo FT1 tweeters

3 runs of 4/0

Too much 1/0

DC power Engineering 320 XP ~235A at idle

3 XS D3100s

with a stock alt, you're not really going to be able to play full tilt at idle for long. same with while driving. you're going to be pulling in excess of 250 amps of current on a stock alternator. the voltage is going to drop, its only a matter of how much it drops. any drop under 12v you should look into getting a HO alt.

I plan on doing the big 3 soon. Xs power flex 0 gauge is pretty cheap so I think I'm just going to buy a spool of it. Power and ground cables are the exact same just different color jackets right? And would just 1 xs d3100

Be able to power both of those amps? Do I have to fuse the big 3? Ive been looking at

Voltmeters but I'm not sure how to wire them

In properly. And how long does a battery generally last for? $300 for a battery isn't cheap but if its gonna last a long time I have absolutely no problem buying one. I'm just trying to do my first build right. Thanks for the help guys

Like everyone said, do the big three first. I'm not really sure if you will get by with adding a battery only, you're probably going to need a HO alternator. Those amps together will probably need like 250 or so amps, so get you a nice ho alt and one or two reserve batteries to help it out. That may break budget, but seems to be the only way here for your setep.

EDIT: Yes, red and black zero gauge is the same wire just different color. If you get a HO alt yes you will need to fuse the big three from battery to alt within 12 inches of the battery. Fusing that wire is mainly to protect against potential short to grounds in the length of the wire from battery to alt, it could light your shit on fire. If you are just doing the big 3 on your stock alt, you can use the stock fuse that should be near the battery. Just run from alt to stock fuse, and from fuse to batt. Voltmeters are very simple, you can wire them in parallel to the battery, + to red wire and - to black wire. You can tap into any source that is coming from the battery, but I would recommend running a dedicated wire with a 30A fuse for the voltmeter for the most accurate reading. Batteries can last for up to ten years, it just depends on how much abuse they have seen. I know a guy that has had the same battery in his truck for more than 10 years, and it still holds 12.2v after sitting for hours. If the battery can hold a load and stay above 10.5v then it is good :).

Edited by Mad_Mike

So if I were looking for an alt. I should be looking for one that's around 250 amps? If I upgrade the alt how big should the fuse be connecting the battery and alt together? I'm trying to find one of my friends to go half on a spool of 0 gauge with me so I can upgrade my wires and do a big 3. And that's awesome to hear I didn't think batteries would last nearly that long!

So if I were looking for an alt. I should be looking for one that's around 250 amps? If I upgrade the alt how big should the fuse be connecting the battery and alt together? I'm trying to find one of my friends to go half on a spool of 0 gauge with me so I can upgrade my wires and do a big 3. And that's awesome to hear I didn't think batteries would last nearly that long!

It depends.. Do you ever plan on running more power? That should be a good size alt. when looking for alternators make sure to check what kind of power they do at "idle".

2005 VW GTI 1.8T

(4) Fi BTL N2 15s/ 4th order bandpass

(2) Crescendo BC5500s

Crescendo c1000.4

(4) Selenium 6w4p (Q logic Kicks)

Crescendo FT1 tweeters

3 runs of 4/0

Too much 1/0

DC power Engineering 320 XP ~235A at idle

3 XS D3100s

I don't think I'd be doing any serious upgrades after all of this for a while. I'm currently running 2 12" midbass and just one old kicker impulse 12" so I think I'll be happy for quite a while. Oh and how does everyone do more than 1 run of 0 gauge? Will I need more than 1 run? And ok thanks man! I don't really plan to play while idle. I usually only really bump my music while on the highway. But I do want to take my gf to the Drive in movie theater after I get this build done haha.

• 2 weeks later...

to do more than one run of 0. it goes from pos alt and neg alt to batts or from front batt 2 pos and 2 neg to back

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick