Horn loaded compression drivers

pocket5s

Just getting back into the scene after a few years absence and was wondering if anybody still uses hlcd's? I've seen ID's on eBay but their site doesn't show them anymore. USD still lists theirs on their site but no price that I've seen.

I remember back in the day when these were the big thing and always wanted a set but could never afford them back then. Back when speakerworks ruled the sound offs in got to listen to several of their customers cars (including the famous Buick) and really liked them. Have they fallen out of favor for regular components? I like my Focals that I have but I still kind of dream about those horns...

http://www.woofersetc.com/c-172-speakers.aspx?manufacturerid=36&frommenu=true.

They are 99 bux a piece and they sell components. I heard Eric Stevens was designing new waveguides and will have them out in a couple months. As far as i know they use a driver similar to the B&C 500 for the ultras. With an adapter you could use a pair of selenium 2500ti and have a little more sparkle and close to the same sound for half the price.

BC500: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=294-608

Selenium 2500: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-275

(USD audio) http://www.usdaudio.com/products/wg.php These range from 400-7000 (Don't quote me on that last number though) for the aluminum horns.

If you have the room I would definitely go with the full size bodies if you have the room or if you have a center console. (better dispersion). They need very little power due to the ridiculously high sensitivity. (~105-115db 1w/1m) You will need a high sensitivity midbass (at least 90+db) to keep up with them. Steep xover slopes are a must too. 24db/octave. They also need some eq'ing But processors are cheaper now then they were in the nineties. Cats back then were taking Rane and Alesis eq's and crossovers and converting them to 12 volt. The Buick you mentioned also had a gaggle of noise gates in it as well.

Now amps have those crossovers built in even in low price amps and you can pick up a decent 1/3 octave for 150 bux.

I am buying a pair of the ID full size bodies on the first for my malibu. I will be using the 2500ti's as well. 8 ohm version The plan is to cross them at 1000hz to the 10" in my door. (240 watts) Since they are 8 ohms they will only get 30 watts but will be more than enough to keep up with my doors and my 3 18".

Since it is difficult to tune a system with horns a lot of people shy away...and the need for additional dsp doesn't help either. This is why I think they are not too popular. People want plug and play.

You can still contact Eric Stevens on diyma and he can answer any more questions you might have.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I wasn't aware of the seleniums or the b&c's. I remember the eq requirements from back in the day. Back the the audio control 30 band's were in all the top cars. How times have changed...

I've seen most of your vids BTW. Can't wait to see we at you do with those horns:)

I have the Image dynamics CD-1 Pro full bodies under my dash and I must say they are fantastic. if you get them eq'd right and have the mids to back them up, they are a great addition to any system that needs that extra boost to keep up with the bass.

I have them paired with soundstream SST-05's and sundown neo pro 10's in my doors. on a sundown 100.4 and 125.2..

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I wasn't aware of the seleniums or the b&c's. I remember the eq requirements from back in the day. Back the the audio control 30 band's were in all the top cars. How times have changed...

I've seen most of your vids BTW. Can't wait to see we at you do with those horns:)

Thx for watching. I am going to order them tomorrow morning so I should have them in a few days. I won't buy the drivers themselves till next month :( I keep myself on a tight budget. FTL

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

interesting. i learned about new drivers today!!

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

I have the Image dynamics CD-1 Pro full bodies under my dash and I must say they are fantastic. if you get them eq'd right and have the mids to back them up, they are a great addition to any system that needs that extra boost to keep up with the bass.

I have them paired with soundstream SST-05's and sundown neo pro 10's in my doors. on a sundown 100.4 and 125.2..

Thanks for the info. I'm really leaning towards putting an 8" midbass in. Haven't decided if it will be a HAT or JL driver though. I couldn't find any dimensions on the horns, namely the depth. Do you happen to know off hand?

Thx for watching. I am going to order them tomorrow morning so I should have them in a few days. I won't buy the drivers themselves till next month :( I keep myself on a tight budget. FTL

I understand that. I've had those times where I'd buy one component one month, then another 2 months later, etc. To some degree I still do that, but I now have to divide my funds between performance and sound. Performance being engine, trans, etc. I spent a year buying parts for my engine, another few months getting all the "extra" stuff (exhaust, carb, etc). Only have about 1600 miles on it so far, but it is a pretty bad-ass small block now :)

interesting. i learned about new drivers today!!

horns were a huge deal back in the early 90's or so. IIRC, SpeakerWorks in CA had the first sets in their grand national and took the walked all over the competition scene, as did many of their customer's cars. Richard Clark bought the GN and had custom horns made and continued winning just about everything. Aperiodic sub enclosures were also their big deal at the same time. No one does those anymore either it seems.

I had the pleasure of listening to many of those cars at national events back in the day. most impressive. Image Dynamics soon followed with theirs. I guess they aren't as popular anymore. Probably because regular cone drivers got much better over the years, but that's just a guess. I've been out of the scene for some time now...

I found a pic of the horns in the grand national. These are the biggest in a car I have ever heard of...

gnib-8.jpg

Can you say dynamics? lol

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

I found a pic of the horns in the grand national. These are the biggest in a car I have ever heard of...

gnib-8.jpg

Can you say dynamics? lol

Ah yes! I remember that picture. If I recall, that speaker had some wild diamond dust cone or something like that. You can tell by the way he is holding it that is was damn heavy. I've had a few buicks and I can't imagine how hard it was to fit up in the dash.

I also seem to recall that it played really, really low. like 100hz or something like that. That car had 12" midbass speakers in the rear side panels. Speakerworks won a few competitions before they even had their 15's put in behind the seat.

I got to listen to that car when the iasca finals were in OKC one year. Truly amazing.

Look sick. I have been pondering a horn driver for some time now.

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Archived