How to tell how much electrical I need?

How can I find out how much electrical I need for certain amounts of power? Like I am running around six thousand watts but not anytime soon. I need to save. So just wondering how I can tell how much electrical I will need. But don't tell me what I need tell me how I can find out to get what I need. Just so I don't ask everytime my friends want to do an upgrade. Thanks.

Are you asking how much amps on you alternador do you need?

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

Asking what kind if electrical will I need like how many or how big of Alts and how many batteries. But I don't want you just to tell me what I need I want to know how to find out what I need on my own... If that makes any sense.

How hard are you going to run the equipment and for how long?

For short periods you can get by on batteries. For longer periods you need lots of alternator to back it up..

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

You'll have to do a little research yourself, but I'll try to give you the basics. You want to start out by finding out how many amperes your amps are gunna pull. The manufacturer will usually tell you what it uses at RMS, if they don't you can go by fuses. Add the fuses up and you get an idea of what it will pull. Once you get that number, you can put together a little shopping list for electrical. For six thousand watts you're probably going to be pulling around 350-400 amperes maybe even more. So you're definitely going to have to get a HO alternator or two. You want to find an alternator that will be able to supply both the amps and the car accessories without being taxed. If you can't get a dual alt setup or don't want to do a dual alt setup, which a six thousand watt system will probably require.. you can add a bunch of extra batteries to help that one HO alt. The extra batteries will give the amps what they need and at lower power times the alt will have a little time to recharge the batteries slowly. But if you are taxing the alt by enough, the batteries will only hold the system for a little bit.. and eventually you're going to run out of power. So the alternator setup is the heart of every system, the alternator is the only thing actually "making power" in the whole electrical system. You can add all the batteries you want, but without a big enough alternator you will never be able to play that system for long before the voltage drops and needs to recharge.

You can add all the batteries you want, but without a big enough alternator you will never be able to play that system for long before the voltage drops and needs to recharge.

and when this happens, the alternator will also burn out faster

Edited by watabeast

I would stay, change the 3400s, to 3100's and make it 4 then you should be fine for now. What will be the ohm load, if its below 1 ohm may add another batt.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz