How To Properly Coil Cables (tutorial I Made)

Guest MegaloManiac

Guest MegaloManiac

How-To “Over-Under” Looping Cables

The most common mistake I see almost everyone make is coiling a cable. I will be showing an easy How-To on how to coil a cable (any cable) properly. I will explain and demonstrate the wrong way of coiling, right way of coiling, and why it is important to keep them cabled properly. Coiling a cable properly will keep the cable in shape, fresher, easy to dispense, and lasts longer.

The wrong way to coil but yet the most common way of coiling is over and over looping. By holding cable in one hand, and wrapping around elbow. This method is wrong for several reasons.

1. It creates a Kinks and Twists resulting in a deformed shape and a damaged cable, it can create signal loss from resistance

2. It gets tangled easier

3. When you get ready to use this cable its all out of wack and you waste time trying to untangle it and straighten it properly.

IMG_0873.jpg

This is the proper way to coil a cable correctly:

Step 1 to properly coiling is to hold one end of the cable in your hand (doesn’t matter which hand, usually if a male and female end such as an XLR cable you would hold Male end in hand)

IMG_0874.jpg

Step 2 is to make an Over loop going clockwise with the cable making about a 1 foot diameter

IMG_0875.jpg

Step 3 make an Under loop by grabbing the cable about 2 feet from your right hand and bring the cable (left hand) towards your right hand and twist your hand 180 degrees clockwise as you are bringing it in.

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

It should look like this when you look at it profile style:

IMG_0881.jpg

Guest MegaloManiac

Step 4 Make an Over loop, grab cable about 2 feet from right hand with your left hand and loop it over your hand like normal, no twisting ( same as step 2).

IMG_0882.jpg

Step 5 repeat step 3 and 4 until cable is completely coiled

Step 6 Tie cables tie to it and hang the cable up or store it safe. Cable ties are cheap, buy them.

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

Step 7 when you are ready to use simply untie the cable tie and hold one end and throw the rest of the cable, your cable should stay straight and tangle free.

IMG_0869.jpg

Comparison cable throw demo

th_Differencebetweenrightandwrong.jpg

Coiling a cable properly is easy to do and can be somewhat time consuming at first. But once you get the hang of it you will make it a habit to coil it like so. Your cables will last longer (saves money), stay in shape, tangle free, and it is easy to dispense when you need it for the next time.

come on man....its TX not KS were its 35.F.......

sorry for the jack you may delete..... :)

Edited by roscoe1129

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg