Second Skin Audio

1 chamber? 1 port? what is best?

You can sometimes have issues with unequal excursion between the 2 subs if you have them on one side of the baffle and the port on the other.

One chamber is fine, but if you are just building it for daily, put the port in the middle of the box between the 2 subs. you might lose a very small amount of SPL, but it will not be noticable.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

You can sometimes have issues with unequal excursion between the 2 subs if you have them on one side of the baffle and the port on the other.

One chamber is fine, but if you are just building it for daily, put the port in the middle of the box between the 2 subs. you might lose a very small amount of SPL, but it will not be noticable.

I'm new to making boxes, how do I put them in the same chamber, but with a port between them?

If you do separate chambers you will need two ports, is a bit harder to build and and a larger box but because drivers can't load each other (due to individual tolerances) some energy is saved and some better sound quality is achieved, some people use separate chambers because of this, at least one kicker box design document also support the use of separate chambers. The center divider provides some "natural" bracing also.

If you do separate chambers you will need two ports, is a bit harder to build and and a larger box but because drivers can't load each other (due to individual tolerances) some energy is saved and some better sound quality is achieved, some people use separate chambers because of this, at least one kicker box design document also support the use of separate chambers. The center divider provides some "natural" bracing also.

I had a lot of trouble understanding some of this, but it sounds like are saying: 2-chambers, 2-ports?

Edited by lagexe

K if took a box with this design and separated the chambers and where the ports meet, I will be good? I use the Torres Calculator (as best I can). It's given me the manufactors desired tuning and airspace.:

Untitled-2.png

Pretend there is some MDF in the middle of the box dividing it. That is an old design.

this is easier as a pic than it will be in words but this is what i was trying to say in my previous post.

6729638189_27e9b8aa21.jpg

box by rogueauto, on Flickr

Yeah, I have seen those but because the air speed lowers on the common center duct an there's a lot of turbulence on the T I think the standard equation will not predict accurately tuning and I expect lower sound quality on such port design, to me just placing a center divider there makes things more predictable.