Using power wire as speaker wire for your subs

I know this may sound a little dumb, but while I was at work today when I was on break and chillin in my car, I had a theory that for my build for wiring I should use 10 gauge power wire for my subs rather than 10 gauge speaker wire, but to be honest im not sure if that would be safe or not. And im just wondering is it?

1997 Eagle Talon- going on a build :)

i run 8 awg audiopipe power and ground wire for my subwoofer wiring... works great

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

Yea, the wire that I was originally going to use was 10 gauge stinger speaker wire, but just now I went on woofersect.com and I saw they had the 10 gauge power and the 8 gauge, it says on the description for 8 gauge strand count for both pro and the hyper flex is 665, while the 10 gauge for only the pro stinger is also 665. And while the speaker wire goes for the 10 gauge it doesn't tell at all the strand count, but from the picture I saw that they showed on the website I might just go ahead and run the 8 gauge power wire for my subs :good:

..however to make sure, when all this rain stops here in texas, im going to make a quick a run to a friends house since he has a boneyard of wires (hopefully he'll have 8 and/or 10 gauge wire laying around) and make sure they will fit nice and tight in the subs terminals, before I place an order to be on the safe side.

Power wire wire and speaker wire is the same. so it'll work. I have 8 ga direct leads and 4 ga coming outta the amp.

2 polk audio 4x6'skenwood head-unit 220 amp Mechman alt1979 Corvette

2003 corvette z06

alpine radio and the bose system that came stock

Just made a quick stop to my friends house, he didn't have any 8 gauge power wire but however he did have 10 gauge and it fit perfect in those terminals, from the looks of the terminals after I placed the 10 it looked like the 8 gauge will be snugged and have a nice fit :) after my next pay check I will order some 8 gauge stinger power from woofersect, thanks for the help guys :)

Just made a quick stop to my friends house, he didn't have any 8 gauge power wire but however he did have 10 gauge and it fit perfect in those terminals, from the looks of the terminals after I placed the 10 it looked like the 8 gauge will be snugged and have a nice fit :) after my next pay check I will order some 8 gauge stinger power from woofersect, thanks for the help guys :)

What are you running?

10g maybe just fine

you win some, you lose some

Archived