Sonic Electronix

4V Pre amp headunits how much of the upgrade is really worth it form 2v to 4v ?

will i see a big difference in bass?

From a 2v xplod headunit really cruddy( not cause of brands cause of age ) to a 4v pioneer alpine kenwood or jvc ?

i do realize that there is a headunit section in forum but when i post there i get no answers sorry

If you set your gains correctly there should be no difference assuming each unit is designed to run between 2 and 4 v . Now, the 4v will give you more potential output but not really more clean output. The gain is used to match the amp output to the preamp voltage it would mean with a 2v preamp the gains will be set higher than with the 4v preamps.

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

If you set your gains correctly there should be no difference assuming each unit is designed to run between 2 and 4 v . Now, the 4v will give you more potential output but not really more clean output. The gain is used to match the amp output to the preamp voltage it would mean with a 2v preamp the gains will be set higher than with the 4v preamps.

so why does everyone go 4v headunits of its not that big of difference i am not saying your wrong i am just trying to learn.

This pretty much sums it up.

the FUNK / facebook.com/The.Funk.765

CarTune Netwerk / facebook.com/cartune.netwerk0
Alpine / Sundown Audio / Audio Technix / Sound Solutions Audio

You want to amplify things gradually for best results. When you give your amp a very low input and expect normal operating output the amp will work harder as opposed to a higher input. Everything is a bit easier when it is gradual. But, with a very basic simple setup these benefits will be much smaller and if you are worried about raw output then (in theory) it will be exactly the same. The only difference is that your gain will be set low for 4v and high for 2v but you should be able to reach max output. The gradual stepping IMO is more for large complicated setups with several amps working at maximum capacity with a higher risk of stress and failure.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:

You want to amplify things gradually for best results. When you give your amp a very low input and expect normal operating output the amp will work harder as opposed to a higher input. Everything is a bit easier when it is gradual. But, with a very basic simple setup these benefits will be much smaller and if you are worried about raw output then (in theory) it will be exactly the same. The only difference is that your gain will be set low for 4v and high for 2v but you should be able to reach max output. The gradual stepping IMO is more for large complicated setups with several amps working at maximum capacity with a higher risk of stress and failure.

-Drew

thank you this was very well explained and i understand what your saying now.

but now in your opinion my set up is still small but i have a outdated sony xplod and if i did upgrade would you say upgrade to a 4v pioneer kenwood jvc or alpine?

BTW i seen your video nice flex on little wattage and your port looks fucking awesome how did you still calculate it with all that?

Edited by Relyks

-Drew

but now in your opinion my set up is still small but i have a outdated sony xplod and if i did upgrade would you say upgrade to a 4v pioneer kenwood jvc or alpine?

BTW i seen your video nice flex on little wattage and your port looks fucking awesome how did you still calculate it with all that?

the price difference between a decent 2v and 4v isnt huge so if your going to spend the money you might as well get the 4v

Upgrade to something with a better EQ or something with better Ipod/Mp3 interface or upgrade to something with a more user friendly display or upgrade to something with a feature you know nothing about but are excited to play around with.. The 2v to 4v is just icing on the cake and a step towards more current HU trends.

I still have 2v and I still use CDs, I don't have any Ipod, SD, USB, or MP3/Aux capability and I am getting pissed more and more every day.

-Drew

The port calculations were all done on AutoCAD which made things very easy and the box itself was just like any other box! Thanks for the compliment I hope to post more vids with full power potential.

-Drew

Edited by Noobtastic14

uhoh_45 said: