bagging and body dropping a 81 crew cab dually

not being a douche..... but weaving a weld is one of the most best ways to get porosity build up in your weld. be careful

I agree, the color looks good around the welds but it isn't necessary to go back and forth. A good solid bead is all you need when welding GMAW

not being a douche..... but weaving a weld is one of the most best ways to get porosity build up in your weld. be careful

I agree, the color looks good around the welds but it isn't necessary to go back and forth. A good solid bead is all you need when welding GMAW

i disagree about the weaving and porosity...

your going to get porosity if you get oxygen/nitrogen in your weld zone and your going to get lack of fusion if you weave and you ride the puddle ....

if i was welding up those frame rails i would have done a quick down hand "root" and a vertical "weave"... hell i might even do a "cap" 1/8" on each side of the weld zone...

keep the pics coming earth- shits coming along nicely

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

your going to get porosity if you get oxygen/nitrogen in your weld zone and your going to get lack of fusion if you weave and you ride the puddle ....

if i was welding up those frame rails i would have done a quick down hand "root" and a vertical "weave"... hell i might even do a "cap" 1/8" on each side of the weld zone...

thx man i am not a pro welder by any means i learned all by my self by just picking it up and going to town on scraps of steel im only 22 so i have only been welding for about 2 years on little things so ill take all advice i can get haha now i did do fish plate on the rear of the box tube ran out of 1/8 steel so i have to wait to get some to do the front

well sir. apparently you have not done alot of welding were they xray it? weaving=fail. i have my welds xrayed daily. i've been welding for 11 years. professionally for 6. and you wouldve vertical downed a weld? What the fuck?!? NO!! if you want a syrong structural weld you do a quick hotpass aka"root" the stringer fillers. no cap needed. for structural. now let us see pictires of your welds mr theory.

Sig.png

thx man i am not a pro welder by any means i learned all by my self by just picking it up and going to town on scraps of steel im only 22 so i have only been welding for about 2 years on little things so ill take all advice i can get haha now i did do fish plate on the rear of the box tube ran out of 1/8 steel so i have to wait to get some to do the front

you are doing pretty damn good though! It's just that "weaving" or "C pattern" type welding is (from what I remember in metals 15+ years ago) used when welding up hill inside a corner or something like that. In your application a good controlled bead is all you need. Weaving reheats the filler you just laid and can make it brittle of become porous

well sir. apparently you have not done alot of welding were they xray it? weaving=fail. i have my welds xrayed daily. i've been welding for 11 years. professionally for 6. and you wouldve vertical downed a weld? What the fuck?!? NO!! if you want a syrong structural weld you do a quick hotpass aka"root" the stringer fillers. no cap needed. for structural. now let us see pictires of your welds mr theory.

you are correct i dont have my welds xrayed daily and i dont do structural but i do have my CWB all position with mig (structural all positions with Gmaw)...

i do pipeline welding in shop (random xrays- never failed) where it is vertical down root- hot pass/fill pass vertical up

heres procedure for a 3G which is a vertical grove weld ... which is exactly what down2earth is doing

551524_10151478360290541_659335540_23684256_1087269276_n.jpg

heres my root 1/8" gap vertical down

311725_10150896067460541_659335540_21422683_2096184796_n.jpg

then heres my hot/fill and cap vertical weave up

300346_10150896067340541_659335540_21422682_2017952098_n.jpg

and the bend test (30 ton ram)

296830_10150896067580541_659335540_21422685_88203764_n.jpg

302579_10150896067670541_659335540_21422686_833051999_n.jpg

no lack fusion no porosity no cracks only problem is there was little suck back from to much heat on front side

553162_10151478294160541_659335540_23683905_193075937_n.jpg

and sorry OP for thread jacking

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

hey man don't be sorry Ill take all the help I can get man

Love the metal fab going on here, keep taking those pictures buddy.

thanks man

Archived