Sonic Electronix

Which way should I face my subs?

Which way to face subwoofers  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which way should I face my subwoofers in my 2005 Ford Mustang?

• Firing toward the trunk
    • Firing toward the cabin

Hey guys,

I just got my new system and I am curious which way I should face my subs in my 2005 Ford Mustang.

Also, I was wondering if there is any reason for me to have rear speakers. I read somewhere that it is better to have really good front speakers than to have good rear speakers. I also read that it is a good idea to remove the rear speakers all together, put the grill back on to make it look as if there are speakers, and the missing speakers would act as ports in the trunk. Does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks for any help guys,

Nick

I would listen to orionstang he has really good experience with the newer mustangs.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

I would say face back. Anything over 2k watts or so, face forward, these trunk lids flex way too much. Are going to build the box in the trunk? Sealed or ported?

And either leave the factory rear speakers in or take them out and plug/cover the holes. Invest in good front speakers and you won't notice them gone.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Well, removing rear speakers is entirely up to you and also depends on how big the car is. IMO having a rear fill set of speakers will help with the front stage on a SQ setup, however in your Mustang I feel they might be too close to act as rear fill and if you haul rear passengers at all they will be boomed away by bass anyway, so I'd just go with leaving the rear speakers hole wide open (maybe install a mesh grille or speaker cloth over the hole for aesthetic purposes) and let the bass flow through..

I always point my subs backwards in sedans, there's a term called "loading effect" and that means that when you get your subs closer to a wall or a panel, but leave enough space, the sound waves will build up and you will have a higher output system than if you were just pointing them forward or upwards (pointing them upwards literally would have the same effect but in my experience that just leaves the trunk with a lot of bass and little is heard on the inside).

By the way, YES go with the best speakers your budget allows for front stage... Component speakers have way more flexibility than coaxes and you might end up with a better sounding system after all...

Just my 2 cents..

A ported box for two 12's would need to take up nearly the whole trunk to get the proper airspace, so you may have to fire forward. Problem is, the opening is only 11" high maybe a tad more. So you either cut metal or build in the trunk.

EDIT: I change my vote to fire forward.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I would say face back. Anything over 2k watts or so, face forward, these trunk lids flex way too much. Are going to build the box in the trunk? Sealed or ported?

And either leave the factory rear speakers in or take them out and plug/cover the holes. Invest in good front speakers and you won't notice them gone.

The subs came in a sealed box.

Another quick question: Do you think it would be a good idea to bridge the subs, or would it be too much for them? I don't want to risk blowing them.

Thanks for the help man.

Sealed box, face it back then. Not familiar with those subs, I don't know how much they can take.

And fyi, you can't bridge a mono amplifier. Are the subs voice coils 2 or 4 ohms?

That makes sense that a mono can't be bridged.

They are 2 ohms.

Archived