How To Do The Big 3: Tutorial

Guest MegaloManiac

correct

Well won't the ring terminals used for the big three interfere with the ring terminal that is sending power to my amplifer? Because the ring terminals for the big III and the ring terminal for my amp would be touching. Is that a problem?

2008 Chevy Impala (undercover cop style)

Setup in the makings

I am going to be having a 160 amp alternator. Can I use 4 gauge wiring even though I am using 0 gauge wiring for my system? If I am using 4 gauge does this mean I have to use something such as a 300 amp fuse? Can I just use like a 200 amp fuse? So for one of the negative runs, I am having a wire go from the engine block to the frame...question is, what the hell is an engine block? lol. Sorry for the noob questions, I just want to get this exactly right so I don't mess up.

Setup in the makings

No.

Use 1/0ga wire from the alt to the battery.

4ga is only good for about 140a, anything higher, insulation melts, possible fire if there's no fusing on it.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

No.

Use 1/0ga wire from the alt to the battery.

4ga is only good for about 140a, anything higher, insulation melts, possible fire if there's no fusing on it.

Yeah I just went back and figured it out. So when I get my new alternator in I am going to order knukonceptz flex 1/0 gauge wire, about 10 ft. of it. Then I am going to order six 0 gauge ring terminals, a fuse holder and and a 200 amp fuse.

Setup in the makings

your engine block is your engine :lol:

for wiring, do the big 3 in whatever size wire you have running to your amp/amps. if your case 1/0.

and for fusing, use a fuse a little bigger than what your alternator can put out.

So I am attaching a ring terminal to any part of the engine that's metal? :lol:

Setup in the makings

Archived