Second Skin Audio

Box for two Obsidian Audio 18s

Escribe I wish I could post picture of the design but im on my phone so im just gunna have to describe it.

The box is 39.5 x 26 x 24.5.

It is 12 cu ft gross 10 net.

The port is 3 x 38 x 27 with three common walls.

There is 114 in^2 of port space making it 12 in per cube.

It will be tuned to about 29 hz and the subs will be inverted and flush mounted.

The port and subs will face upwards and this is going into a jeep cherokee.

So what do you guys think? Good or no?

And don't forget a whole lot of bracing. :)

Edited by NotEnoughBass

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Alpine HU

Crunch Powerone 300.2 mid/highs + AP15001D bass

Soon to be two OA18s

Cadence coax and sony tweets

Big three + All 1/0 wire

Optima Yellow Top

No hating on my ghetto system plz. (Im poor)

IMHO, you could leave the subs facing up, but I would put the port facing the back, it'll sound a lot better and louder. Especially with that low of tuning.

I would love to but I have about 3/4 in clearance between my back gate and my box. Lol I need a bigger car.

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Alpine HU

Soon to be two OA18s

Big three + All 1/0 wire

Optima Yellow Top

IMHO, you could leave the subs facing up, but I would put the port facing the back, it'll sound a lot better and louder. Especially with that low of tuning.

I would love to but I have about 3/4 in clearance between my back gate and my box. Lol I need a bigger car.

Touche', Is there any way you can raise the height, and decrease the length so you don't have to sacrifice your airspace? Just trying to think of a way to help you out, bc I had a box with the port facing up and it wasn't as near as loud as my box that i have now with port facing back.

*Rebuid in progress*

LrzV2Vk.jpg

VbjgkeI.jpg

Touche', Is there any way you can raise the height, and decrease the length so you don't have to sacrifice your airspace? Just trying to think of a way to help you out, bc I had a box with the port facing up and it wasn't as near as loud as my box that i have now with port facing back.

I know what you mean. My crappy planet audio 12s with portthe back seemed almost as loud as my 15s when I had the port facing up but they couldn't hit near as low. My box +with the inverted subs is about 6it in away from my roof. If I go any higher it would almost be a wall lol. I might end up taking out the back seat and just going the whole 9 yards and getting two more 18s. They subs wont be her until march so I have a little time to decide.

Edited by NotEnoughBass

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Alpine HU

Soon to be two OA18s

Big three + All 1/0 wire

Optima Yellow Top

I know what you mean. My crappy planet audio 12s with portthe back seemed almost as loud as my 15s when I had the port facing up but they couldn't hit near as low. My box +with the inverted subs is about 6it in away from my roof. If I go any higher it would almost be a wall lol. I might end up taking out the back seat and just going the whole 9 yards and getting two more 18s. They subs wont be her until march so I have a little time to decide.

I understand that, not a lot of room in Jeeps. Thankfully my car was wide enough, I could get 17 cubes, and still keep it under 25" and IMO, I'd rather remove my back seat instead of walling off (unless competing), i just hate not being able to see whats behind me lol.

*Rebuid in progress*

LrzV2Vk.jpg

VbjgkeI.jpg

I understand that, not a lot of room in Jeeps. Thankfully my car was wide enough, I could get 17 cubes, and still keep it under 25" and IMO, I'd rather remove my back seat instead of walling off (unless competing), i just hate not being able to see whats behind me lol.

I was considering competing but I don't think I can get loud enough on two 18s on 1.6k at 29 hz. My back seats are at angles so I might throw in an angled side to get some extremely space

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Alpine HU

Soon to be two OA18s

Big three + All 1/0 wire

Optima Yellow Top

Port of 3x38x27 has large potential for some epic port noise especially with only 12 sq in per cu ft. I could tell if your 3x38x27 w

Ias WxHxD or HxWxD, but you're going to want a better ratio than 1:12.66

its the best I can do with the space I have. All I can do is 45 the corners and hope for the best.

Edited by NotEnoughBass

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Alpine HU

Soon to be two OA18s

Big three + All 1/0 wire

Optima Yellow Top

Port of 3x38x27 has large potential for some epic port noise especially with only 12 sq in per cu ft. I could tell if your 3x38x27 w

Ias WxHxD or HxWxD, but you're going to want a better ratio than 1:12.66

its the best I can do with the space I have. All I can do is 45 the corners and hope for the best.

Then I'd honestly consider getting 15s so that you will be able to fit them in if I were you. Or at least get a few more opinions on this before going ahead with it

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif