Second Skin Audio

Port Flare Size Matter?

I am designing a rectangular port for my two 18" X3-182 Soundtreams subs. Each sub will have it's own enclosure. I will be making a flared rectangular port. I am designing it for musical quality not SPL so the tuning frequency will be 30 Hz. To reduce on port noise a guy at work suggests a 3/4" radius on the port flare where the air comes in and out of port. I was wondering if I should go bigger to help reduce port noise like 2 inch radius or keep it at 3/4" radius on the flare to avoid too much frequency change. I will be powering it with 9 kinteik 2400 batteries on the Soundstream XXX15000D 14,800 watt amp at 2 ohm and three 390 amp alternators. Any suggestions on port radius?

I thought that amp was 14800 at 1 ohm, not 2. Might want to make sure.

The 3/4" radius is just going to reduce any noise that might come from the air passing over the sharp edge of the port. Not going to change the performance. If you get into making a large flare to reduce port area, you really have to duplicate that flare on the inside.

Concentrate on having enough port area and then put the 3/4" round on the edge and it will work fine.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

at 18 volts too.

they actually have it rated at 14.4

sure...

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I thought that amp was 14800 at 1 ohm, not 2. Might want to make sure.

The 3/4" radius is just going to reduce any noise that might come from the air passing over the sharp edge of the port. Not going to change the performance. If you get into making a large flare to reduce port area, you really have to duplicate that flare on the inside.

Concentrate on having enough port area and then put the 3/4" round on the edge and it will work fine.

oh it's 9,300 at 2 ohm. If I use the same flare for the inside, I'll just double up on 3/4" MDF and give it the 3/4" radius.

The owner's manual said to use fiberglass resin to strengthen the enclosure. It's going to be 8 cu ft per enclosure and won't the resin make the glue in the MDF separate when it soaks in because that wood is made with dust and glue? Someone recommended using liquid dynamat like deadskin or rockford fosgate spray.

When the resin soaks in and dries, the MDF is not going anywhere!

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Archived