Second Skin Audio

18 Inch AQ HDC3 question.

Hello I have a problem with my sub and wondering if any of you could help me. I was driving to get me some Hardess this morning and noticed my sub was making a weird like whistling sound so I turned the bump off and got home started inspecting everything and both coils work like they should and it bumps just like it always has but when you push down on the speaker if feels like its rubbing. I tried blowing the coil area out with air to see if something had gotten down into it to no avail. So my sub is pounding the same with a kinda whistling sound and feels as if something is rubbing together. Any suggestion? Thanks guys!

Throw a DMM on each VC cause if you started to unwind the coil at least one side should read way off. and you don't necessarily hear clipping. How often did you get the sub stinky? I beat the crap out of my HDC's, but know when to back off...

If you don't already have the v4 basket/recone then get that and you'll be happy. Louder and lower is what I've found with the subs I've reconed with the latest stuff.

Will do on the DMM and on the stinky part ive never smelt anything really im only pushing 1200 watts to it so I dont think ive been bad to it. Anyway Ill check it tomorrow and update. Thank you for responding back.

NP, and 1200watts clipped will kill a sub eventually. Do you have stock electrical as I run an AQ1200 in the wife's car and it will dim the lights pretty bad when I crank it up. She doesn't play it that loud though, so it's not a problem, but obviously that is enough to drop voltage and clip the signal

Sounds like you bottomed her out. Play it till the increased friction causes it to blow anyways, or go ahead and recone it, a recone is roughly $80+ shipping. glue kit from AQ is $25.

Learned this from experience.. Don't try to call whales before a new box design has been proven lol.

Proof:

IMG_20110910_214053.jpg

edit: ^^ yes that still played for the ride home from the show.

Edited by Sanitarium

heat most likely. glue probably burnt up and the windings came off.

Edited by ChevyBoy95

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/