Second Skin Audio

96 explorer complete coverage

Ive got i explorer im looking to gut and enforce with ss products. Its an off road built daily drivin bass machine. I wad thinking of runninh sone spectrum sludge but im not sure if its my best option. Currently im running 3 10s off of 1300 wrms on top of loud ass mud terrains with unpredictable weather conditions so im looking for type product to give me the best thermal and sound isulation with near future plans of running 2 15s off 4200wrms. What would be my best bang for the buck with years of satisfaction?

"God's country is like Heaven, Cause you can drive like HELL!!"

carwash.gif

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

I assume you are wanting to reduce the tire noise caused by the mud tires as much as possible, correct?

One of my favorite combinations is this.

Tackle the wheel wells with some Spectrum or Spectrum Sludge.

Hit the doors and floor with some Damplifier (if you want to tackle the roof as well, no problem)

Then go over the floor with some Luxury Liner or Luxury Liner Pro.

The combination of all of these will reduce road/tire noise, create an overall quieter interior noise level, and give you YEARS of satisfaction.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

• 3 weeks later...

Basically i want to insulate as much as possible to maintain internal temperature, kill exterior noise and enhance/insulate the music. Not to say money is no issue but im willing to spend whats neccasary to seal it up. Would the luxury liner reduce road noise better than damp pro or alpha? Also on the chance of getting water or mud in the truck can i rely on the floor coverage

carwash.gif

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

luxury liner pro will reduce noise, the damp pro and alpha will reduce panel resonance

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

So if i sludge the entire interior i would have all the benefits? Say i did the entire interior in damp pro it would be better acousticly but would not rid of exterior noise. so id layer of it all with luxury liner and with both i still would need heat wave to insulate?

carwash.gif

Sludge is a liquid vibration damper and it accomplishes the same goal as the vibration mats, just in liquid form. So you should still use Luxury Liner Pro in addition to the Sludge if you want to kill/block the road and tire noise.

Damplifier Pro will perform better than the Sludge simply for the fact that CLDs (constrained layer dampers) will typically out perform most any liquid vibration products because of their constraining layer (foil). The foil does a lot in terms of the performance of the material.

Hit the floor with some Damp, Damp Pro, or Alpha (25% coverage is all that is needed) and then cover that with the LLP. The results are fantastic!

usa_render4.png

So if i cover my entire interior with pro/alpha the llp wont absorb the interior sound the damp is enhancing? Im sorry if i sound repetitive but if ive experimented alot with deadners and been often dissapionted so i want to make sure im gettin $800 worth of noticible fifference

carwash.gif

Ok let me simplify it to remove any and all confusion. :)

When it comes to vehicles there are typically two types of noise you are dealing with, structure-borne noise and airborne noise.

Picture courtesy of onosokki.co.jp.

oto2.gif

Structure-born noise is sound that is propagated through the structure of the vehicle as vibrations, which in turn is radiated as sound. For example, the engine causes vibrations which is transferred into the sheet metal of the vehicle, the sheet metal then vibrates (at it's resonant frequency) and produces sound, but since the sheet metal of the vehicle is not tuned to a specific frequency it's just noise and not a musical note/tone.

Airborne noise is sound that is caused by the movement of a large volume of air and/or the use of high-pressure air. An example of this is exhaust noise.

Airborne noise is a fun beast to tangle with for the fact that it can pass through objects with ease, especially the low frequencies, thus it can be more difficult to deal with.

Damplifier/Damplifier Pro/Alpha Damp and other similar type vibration damping mats are used to treat structure-borne noise. When the material is installed on the sheet metal of the vehicle, when the panel vibrates the damping material converts the vibrational energy into the low level heat through a shearing process, and not audible sound.

However, vibration damping mats aren't designed to stop or block airborne noise, they are simply too light (not enough mass to them) and too thin. This is where the use of MLV (mass loaded vinyl) noise barriers, such as Luxury Liner Pro, come in. The thickness and density of the product allows the material to absorb, block, and even reflect airborne noise that otherwise just passes right through the vibration damping material.

This is why it's recommended to use a mass loaded vinyl product, such as Luxury Liner Pro, in addition to a vibration damping material to achieve the best in noise reduction because you area treating both the structure-borne noise (with the vibration damping mat) and airborne noise (with the MLV barrier).

I hope that helps you out and doesn't confuse you any further. If not, let me know and I will simply it even further.

Edited by Second Skin Rep Jon
spelling...

usa_render4.png