Second Skin Audio

Best way to face box in trunk

seriousgary

But how to do it, this is my basic view of it(anyone correct me if I'm wrong) but you make you box first, then you make a baffle the shape of your trunk, and you put it over the box, and make sure the design doesn't have the woofers touch the seat, then you get the expanding foam spray(what Steve Meade refers as the "great stuff:) for extra sealing off the box. It's also a good idea to apply sound deadening mats on the rear deck to reduce rattle.

Done properly, you get this

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

If it's sealed off good the trunk won't rattle really.

Yeah, you rarely will get rattle when facing forward. My friend with the 2 JL W3's, has them on an HD 750/1 in a sealed box, and rattle only occurs when his headunit is at least 33/35(loud as fuck lol), and the trunk and spolier barely rattles a bit and no body flex. Me, with just a cvr12 on a regular ported box on an MB Quart 600 watt mono amp, I suffer trunk rattle like crazy, and body flex, the rattle was so bad, it knocked off the spring inside the locking mechanism, so I couldn't lock my trunk, and had to go to my friends to fix it, so to reduce rattle, face it forward.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

To do it yourself, shouldn't cost you that much extra, just extra mdf, expanding foam, and sub box carpet if you wanna make it look clean. To have a pro do it, well depends on the shop, you have to ask around, but it usually costs alot more, especially when they do it with fiberglass.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Yeah, seal off the baffle with the foam, then when everything is all set, cover it with box carpet to make it look good.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Good luck to you on your build, and ask around when you need help.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Archived