Second Skin Audio

Box help!!

@Kranny! This is NOT going in a trunk! As I stated a few blocks up its going in a Bravada. And I measured to a "T"..

That looks great. My question is, is there a sound difference with the port being on the bottom like that verses a vertical port in the middle? Just curious, never had one or seen one in person for that matter..

Also, I finally got ahold of someone over at Five Star and Bob said for the Extreme 15's, they take 3-1/2 cf per sub so 7 cubes at 36 hz. Thats all he gave me

The subs are too close for a top to bottom port, you can either do aero ports or a square/ rectangular center port, the bottom port is the easiest to do and if nothing obstructs it can work no problem, let me know what changes you want done

So ok here is a new box, port back subs up, if you happen to find specs on this subs let me know, could let me optimize the design:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 35.041 Hz

Vb = 8.086 ft^3

External Height = 18.75 in

External Width = 36 in

External Depth = 34 in

Port Width = 4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 36 x 34

Left & Right Sides = 32 1/2 x 16 1/2

Front & Back = 36 x 16 1/2

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 25 x 34 1/2

2x15SUPB.jpg

Top to bottom bracing is recommended, a couple of metallic dowel rods will do.

An alternative can be using aero ports, could make the box slightly smaller.

On the front and back pieces you have the same size. Wouldnt the front be a little shorter due to the port being on the bottom? Im goin to stick with this one. Also, if u could do one more sketchup with the center square port would be great. I really do appreciate all the help Joe..

So ok here is a new box, port back subs up, if you happen to find specs on this subs let me know, could let me optimize the design:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 35.041 Hz

Vb = 8.086 ft^3

External Height = 18.75 in

External Width = 36 in

External Depth = 34 in

Port Width = 4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 36 x 34

Left & Right Sides = 32 1/2 x 16 1/2

Front & Back = 36 x 16 1/2

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

2x15SUPB.jpg

Top to bottom bracing is recommended, a couple of metallic dowel rods will do.

An alternative can be using aero ports, could make the box slightly smaller.

On the front and back pieces you have the same size. Wouldnt the front be a little shorter due to the port being on the bottom? Im goin to stick with this one. Also, if u could do one more sketchup with the center square port would be great. I really do appreciate all the help Joe..

This is just an assembly method difference, Notice that both the rear and front panels are specified to 36 wide and the port window would be cut in the panel, In the sketchup I used an different method of assembly which is simpler but the spec is exactly the same.

Let me find some time and I will issue a center square or rectangular port, just note that it will be harder to build, unless you have something obstructing the bottom port will do alright.

You know what Joe, this box would be awesome. Ill keep it with the port at the bottom! I really appreciate all the help. One more thing and ill quit bugging you. How many sheets of mdf do I need and what size sheets? Ill need wood glue, wood screws and sealing caulk and dowels for bracing. All thread or wood dowels?

Lots of useful info on building here:

http://www.kicker.com/building_enclosures

At least go with two dowels top to bottom in the center of width and near the subs, cross brace straight to the bottom through the port where necessary, The port needs bracing as well, you can take advantage of the brace crossing through to bolt it as well.

The way you cut the material will determine the amount of wood you will need, get the dims of the sheets available to you and plan your cuts or get help from the seller.

Hey Joe X, im building this box as we speak! Going to do a build thread!! I was wondering, for the port, is it just one flat piece of mdf or does it angle up inside the box at the end??

Its a single flat piece of MDF:

Parallel to the bottom wall, the bottom port needs bracing, if you would like me to submit ab updated sketchup showing optimizations and bracng, let me know.

Its a single flat piece of MDF:

Parallel to the bottom wall, the bottom port needs bracing, if you would like me to submit ab updated sketchup showing optimizations and bracng, let me know.

Sure that would be awesome!!