Need help figuring out upgrade

Right, so I've been saving up money over the past couple months from working and I wasn't planning on upgrading anything til summer time most likely. But I see that XS Power is having a group buy for the XP series batteries. Before I ask any questions, here's what I'm thinking:

1 Fi SP4

1 Hifonics Brutus BRZ2400.1D

Ported box inthe trunk

Now, first question. If I want to be running at 1-ohm to get the full 2400 watts from the BRZ, would I need to get the dual 2-ohm SP4 to be able to wire down to 1-ohm?

Next, I realize that I'm going to need an extra battery, and maybe an extra alternator (not knowledgeable about either of these quite yet). Based on the above info, would the XP3000 battery be a good option for this setup? I read through the entire GB thread and know that I wouldn't be installing this battery under the hood, but rather in the trunk. So I'd keep my battery up front, as well as adding this new one.

Also based on the above info, would I need an upgraded alternator? I'm guessing so, but how would I go about deciding on that? I have an '03 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L Ecotech and the only alternator I could find was this one: https://www.dcpowerinc.com/category/high-output-alternators/xp-series-high-output-alternators.html?make=Chevrolet&model=Cavalier&year=2003

It seems rather expensive considering I don't know how much alternators usually run for, but I'd also like to find some other options (which I have had trouble doing).

Think those are all of the questions I have at the moment, I'm just one of those people who need to be 100% sure of every single thing before I actually go through with it so pardon me if this seems a bit too extensive :pardon:

Thanks for any help!

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

yes dual 2 sp4

i would upgrade battery under hood as well as adding battery in trunk.

as far as alternators, look around

-mechamn

-mike singer alternators

-excessive amperage alternator

Only sad part about this is that the XP series that XS Power is doing the group buy discount for aren't for under-the-hood applications. But I suppose since it'd ship free with the XP, what should I be looking at for my under-the-hood battery? Just basically maximum dimensions and then find the biggest one I can fit in there or what?

As for the different types of alternators, I tried browsing around at mechman for example, and I searched under Chevrolet->Cavalier->??? I have an '03 Cavalier with a 2.2L Ecotech engine but there's not even a H/O alternator listed for anything newer than '02. Does this just mean that they don't offer one for me? And in reference to the Singer/Excessive Amperage, do I have to email them both for a price quote with my vehicle info? I tried browsing sites for all that you listed and had trouble finding any products/prices on these two.

yes dual 2 sp4

-mechamn

-mike singer alternators

Only sad part about this is that the XP series that XS Power is doing the group buy discount for aren't for under-the-hood applications. But I suppose since it'd ship free with the XP, what should I be looking at for my under-the-hood battery? Just basically maximum dimensions and then find the biggest one I can fit in there or what?

As for the different types of alternators, I tried browsing around at mechman for example, and I searched under Chevrolet->Cavalier->??? I have an '03 Cavalier with a 2.2L Ecotech engine but there's not even a H/O alternator listed for anything newer than '02. Does this just mean that they don't offer one for me? And in reference to the Singer/Excessive Amperage, do I have to email them both for a price quote with my vehicle info? I tried browsing sites for all that you listed and had trouble finding any products/prices on these two.

jget the group buy batts for the back and pay full price for the one to go up front. at least the savings from the rear batts will offset the price a little

mechamn for ALT!

The thing is, I looked on Mechman's site for H/O alternators and couldn't find one for my make/model. 2003 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L Ecotech. But I did email Mike Singer and he quoted me $389 for a 235. 140A idle @ 800rpms. Is this a good deal? Just wanting to double check, because I found a H/O alternator from another trusted source of H/O alternators that wanted over $600 for the one that I'd need.

yes dual 2 sp4

-mechamn

-mike singer alternators

jget the group buy batts for the back and pay full price for the one to go up front. at least the savings from the rear batts will offset the price a little

Yeah, I won't be able to upgrade anytime soon, but getting one of my main batteries for a great discounted price as well as free shipping is just something I can't turn away. It'll save me a good bit in the long run too.

Archived