Second Skin Audio

looking at subs

basing your decision on just xmax and sensitivity doesn't really work...

from what i've seen the sensitivity rating is more or less useless.

also different ways to rate xmax. seems like a lot of companies list it at 70% bl, but not all of them.

i'd go with power handling if you're just looking at those 3 specs. i could be wrong but as long as you can control excursion so bl doesn't drop off you don't have to worry about xmax too much...

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

also different ways to rate xmax. seems like a lot of companies list it at 70% bl, but not all of them.

Kinda sorta correct. Most legit companies ratings are for linear travel, meaning the max travel of its forward stroke without having the coil leave the gap or rub, keeping the entire assembly moving equally.

Sure the woofer maybe able to move farther, but its not linear which would cause the coil to jump out of the gap, or rub or something to that nature, which could cause damage to the driver if done enough. So it is basicly usless travel since it is no longer under control at that point.

Also seen some companies rate the xmax as both ways (forward and backwards / in and out), but most companies just rate it 1 way such as Fi and AA for example.

Pretty sure I said that correct. LOL

well, i appreciate the help, or, basically a smack on the back of the head saying im dumb. like i said, im a noob. i have no problem admitting that. and those numbers mean basically nothing to me. i DO know that getting two subs, and adding those SPL numbers, that i WONT get that db rating. i do know that much. but i guess basically my way of thinking to buy the sub was completely irrational, which, is why i posted this, and made a fool of myself LOL. but, i guess ill do the old fashioned coin toss and just randomly pick one of the subs that i feel as though will work within my budget. i still have a ton to learn, and this is why i ask

1992 Camry "Stormtrooper"Quantum Audio DVD/USB/AUX 3.5" single din H/UXS D690Cadence 0g wiring and Kicker 4g wiring(2) Selenium 6w4p's(2) Selenium ST200'sKicker 200.4 (mids & highs)(1)Kicker and (2)Stinger RCA'sSecondSkin in trunk and doors12K HIDsMulitcolor Angel EyesSoon to be done:Big 3Mechman H/O Altsubs?amp?

That thing is going to eat people nearby cars, unsecured objects, and small children

Fixed!

wow nice. i wanted nos on my car but the gf said no. i was just gunna do a 50 shot tho haha

Get a new girlfriend.