Sundown Audio

Amp Ohm Loading

Boon

Hi guys,

I have a Schneider SPA-7000X. It's exactly the same amp as the Celestra DA6K and American Bass VFL 400.1 as well as I think one of the SPL Dynamics Amps.

Anyway. It's rated down to 1 ohm (obviously, being a monoblock...) and according to the Celestra manual it can be loaded down to 0.5 ohms (I think even for daily??)

Anyway, I'm about to buy a new sub, most likely an Atomic APX12. I'm wondering what coils to get, basically.

I can get a Dual 0.5 which will give me 1 ohm for daily and 0.25 ohm for burps. Basically I'm just wondering if this amp will handle 0.25 ohms (plus impedance rise...)

I have heard anecdotal stories of them being run at 0.25 for burps but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them.

Cheers.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

.25ohms is super low....the only amp i know of that is capable of that is IA..no first hand knowledge of the amp you listed...but i would be extremely skeptical/careful if you are to burp any amp at .25ohms

i likes me some audio stuff...

• 3 weeks later...

i have burped my solar audio 5000D (similar to the celestra da6k) at .38 ohm strapped ( .19 ohm per amp) but you have to roll the volume slowly if you don't have enough battery power. i run a optima d34 + a C&D Tech 12475. The amp goes into protection before i can finish my roll.

Box impedance rise is what you should concentrate on, try and get the final impedance after rise to .9 ohm.

Update: keep the supply voltage above 10.5 volt and the amp will not go into protection.

Archived