So please teach me something here....

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/396232_3200453882958_1014379508_33088559_832649618_n.jpg

I tried taking a screenshot of Hustle Hard by Ace Hood and I have it zoomed in 12x in Audacity. The track on top is the song, the portion on the bottom is where I added a 45Hz tone. You can see on the top track that instead of being wavy like the tone I generated, it's flat at places where the bass hits.

I'm not sure how to best describe this, but I think this is the harmonic distortion that Decaf was talking about on tracks produced by Lex Luger

the picture above is a great example of how the mids/disappear during the loudest part of the kick drum. You can also see how the flat plateau is pretty long in duration... that is what you want to avoid. Notice how its not red and doesnt surpass 0dB, but those flat spots are what will warm up coils/amps faster than the wavelength below it... even if the waveform below is louder.

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Thank you Decaf. I understand well enough to see that we are still pretty much screwed with a poorly recorded original track :(

I guess it's kind of the same thing with photography .... Oh sure, you can do a LOT of tweaks in Photoshop, but the better the original shot, the better the finished product.... and the worse, the worse......

Any artist who makes bomb ass music, then fininshes it with a shitty recording, should be drug outside and beat ! ;)

Fish

Thank you Decaf. I understand well enough to see that we are still pretty much screwed with a poorly recorded original track :(

I guess it's kind of the same thing with photography .... Oh sure, you can do a LOT of tweaks in Photoshop, but the better the original shot, the better the finished product.... and the worse, the worse......

Any artist who makes bomb ass music, then fininshes it with a shitty recording, should be drug outside and beat ! ;)

Fish

well said.

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg