Sonic Electronix

So I had a thread like this before, but, unfortunately, never went through with it. I've still got a lot of lingering questions and new ones.

The budget is for sub(s)/amp(s)/wiring/box.

First things first, my car is a 2003 Toyota Camry. I've discovered there is a problem with my trunk since it is seperated from the cabin. I've been told I need to use a bandpass box and position the port through a hole somewhere to the cabin. If so, I've been thinking about going through the backseat's center arm rest backing, as I've seen others do. The only problem is that, since I've never done this before, a bandpass box is very intimidating to me. I have zero background in wood work, but I do have access to plenty of tools to get the job done. Not only that, but I have no idea where to start with dimensions. Especially since the port has a set dimension it has to fit in. Of course friends will be recruited to help.

Also, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on a sub. I should note, that I don't want to have so much RMS that I'll have to put in a new alternator. I will be doing the big 3 and I already have an Optima Yellowtop. Yes I know its not an XS Power or Kinetic or w/e else. Back to subs.. I've looked at anything from an Alpine 1243D Type R to a Fi Q. I generally listen to dubstep style music, so I've been exclusively looking at 12".

I have no idea where to go with amp(s). I've tried researching a bit, but no one seems to be able to agree with anyone on what is what. Nor do I have any idea as to what brands are good in what price ranges.

I'm anxious to see what you guys come up with.

Im complelty cutting out the center of the back seats to chamber the bass. Makes it alot louder that way. 700 is a tight budget, but it can be done. If you just want some bass to your music where you will feel it and shake your ride a little bit, find a subwoofer, 12" or 15" at least 500w rms, ported box, amp to match the power, decent wiring, and ur good to go.

You could also u a big ass aeroport. That'll save a lot of volume to be used for the sub(s)

Edited by BFF Larry

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

Are you friends with anyone at the local shops? It'd be the best route, cuz buying online you get hit with shipping cost more.

Also, those type Rs are popular. I'v heard two of them in a car before, certainly enough to be loud, and impress the average listener on the street.

I personally always run JL audio, but that never fits any budget. If you ever can someday, try to hear one of their 12w7s or 13w7s.

You wont have to do bandpass, you could just simply do a nice ported box, and either ghetto style just fold down your back seats like they normally do, or just cut out the arm rest. That hole alone will be plenty to let the sound come thru. Im doing that with my car, cutting out the arm rest in the back, & that way the sound can travel thru the car and not get stuck in the trunk.

For amps, again, i only use JL. You could either look down the kenwood route, or other similar brands to get some power for that type R, to keep cost low.

You could also u a big ass aeroport. That'll save a lot of volume to be used for the sub(s)

I don't understand this. From a little bit of googling it seems like that is a normal port with flared ends that supposedly help with sound quality.

Are you friends with anyone at the local shops? It'd be the best route, cuz buying online you get hit with shipping cost more.

Also, those type Rs are popular. I'v heard two of them in a car before, certainly enough to be loud, and impress the average listener on the street.

I personally always run JL audio, but that never fits any budget. If you ever can someday, try to hear one of their 12w7s or 13w7s.

You wont have to do bandpass, you could just simply do a nice ported box, and either ghetto style just fold down your back seats like they normally do, or just cut out the arm rest. That hole alone will be plenty to let the sound come thru. Im doing that with my car, cutting out the arm rest in the back, & that way the sound can travel thru the car and not get stuck in the trunk.

For amps, again, i only use JL. You could either look down the kenwood route, or other similar brands to get some power for that type R, to keep cost low.

I was about to buy those Type R's until I decided to come on here and see what you guys think. I wish JL was in my price range, but looking at the amp I would need, it looks like it would take up over half my budget. :( Oh, and are you aiming the port for your sub through that hole in the arm rest?

audioque 1200d is decent amp for the money. Probly work well on the Fi q. Should be able to do all wires and build the box yourself for in the $150 area.

That should be around your budget.

Interesting.. I really liked that Fi Q, even though it can probably handle more RMS than my car can :lol:

Edited by Nums