Sundown Audio

Strapping multiple amps, the s2000.1

Hi, I have a question about strapping the s2000.1 amps....I know that if you strap 2 of them you get ~4kw at 2ohm stable....I also know that the amps are strappable in virtually an unlimited number. My desired "power @ ohm load" is 16kw @ 8ohms. Now, I know how to wire them so each amp is outputting at 1ohm....but does anyone know how to wire them so the ohm loads reach 8ohm for mono use?

Thanks in advance, Mike.

Ps. Sub wiring question is in subs/enclosures forum.

Sponsored by:

Kenwood

Pioneer

Linear Power

YWS

LoCrew Customs

AirRide

SMC

Viair

Series-tuned 6th on 4.8kw @8ohms.

That's based on the simple calculation of doubling your power by strapping 2 together....when in most circumstances, the power isn't quite doubled....I haven't gotten CV to confirm how much it will actually output when strapping.

Sponsored by:

Kenwood

Pioneer

Linear Power

YWS

LoCrew Customs

AirRide

SMC

Viair

Hang on... better cone control?

Im assuming your talking about damping factor?

If you are you have it backwards, low impedence output at the amplifier gives a high damping factor...

But hell it doesnt really matter since the damping factor changes with different frequencies depending on the voice coil, its different with pretty much every sub.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

This is actually my first high ohm system, I've always ran 4ohm or lower in the past. The way I was explained, is that since higher ohm loads require more voltage, your amp can control your subs more precisely with higher voltage less current, than with a lower ohm load that requires less voltage and higher current. I can't remember exactly the words used, but it had something to do with higher current being better for long drawn out tones versus higher voltage being better for making your sub respond quicker to tone changes. If that makes sense....it took me a bit to figure out exactly what he meant, but it kinda makes sense now.

Sponsored by:

Kenwood

Pioneer

Linear Power

YWS

LoCrew Customs

AirRide

SMC

Viair

This is actually my first high ohm system, I've always ran 4ohm or lower in the past. The way I was explained, is that since higher ohm loads require more voltage, your amp can control your subs more precisely with higher voltage less current, than with a lower ohm load that requires less voltage and higher current. I can't remember exactly the words used, but it had something to do with higher current being better for long drawn out tones versus higher voltage being better for making your sub respond quicker to tone changes. If that makes sense....it took me a bit to figure out exactly what he meant, but it kinda makes sense now.

Give examples of previous systems installed or had installed. I'm wondering if you're biting off more than you can chew. Help is available for whatever you may need around here. But if THESE things are tripping you up, PLUS you're going for an SQ build(with 8 subs) than the hard stuff will make your brain explode. Examples will include time alignment, on/off axis, active/passive setups and all kinds of other hardcore SQ stuff. Kranny is the guy you need to get in contact with on this forum, as he knows what the hell is up.

P.S. there is another guy on here with an extended cab Chevy pickup that runs an iso-baric setup and uses Linear Power stuff as well.

Edited by CleanSierra

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I understand your concern, and appreciate it. The only thing that really tripped me up, was I've never ran strapped amps, so haven't had any hands-on experience with them, therefore it was taking me a little while to figure out exactly how they can be wired and so forth. Now just waiting on cv to confirm what actual strap-ability configurations are supported by their amps. I've measured, and after enclosure and amps are installed, I'll have ~9sq-ft of space to install batts....so even if cv says they don't support that type of strapping, I can just change over to a more realistic mild-spl setup. I prefer my stuff last years to come, than to do like the bread truck and blow it's shit with an accidental burp.

Sponsored by:

Kenwood

Pioneer

Linear Power

YWS

LoCrew Customs

AirRide

SMC

Viair