Upgrading my Electrical

I currently drive a 96 2 door Tahoe

Its got the stock alternator and stock battery still in it.

I have recently done the big 3 upgrade with knu 1/0.

Also i have 1 run of 1/0 knu to my dist block which output is 4gauge.

My system consist of

2x Audioque HDC3-15 Coppers

2x Audioque 1200d amps strapped

So i got 2400rms @2 ohms

I am currently a getting some voltage drops when i hit low notes

It idles at around 14.5v

When i hit low notes it drops to about 11v

I got lights dimming ect

I did notice an improvement once i did the big 3 but not a huge difference.

So what do i need to upgrade alternator and add a battery?

How big of an alternator should i get 200-250?

also would i get away with just upgrading my starter battery with say a yellowtop? or am i gonna need a secondary battery for my system.

Any info would be much appreciated.

thanks

Edit*

​Also what brand of alternators are reliable with their output and what brand of batter to run if the yellowtop aint enuff

Edited by Sethorama

I would go with an alt and extra batteries...Dc power has been legit imo. Do you plan on upgrading and adding more amps? I would just go with the 270xp or dual brackets if you plan on upgrading

For batteries, I use 2 lifeline GPL-8DL agm batteries. huge suckers, but I know a ton of people use the xs power ones too

Edited by watabeast

I would go with an alt and extra batteries...Dc power has been legit imo. Do you plan on upgrading and adding more amps? I would just go with the 270xp or dual brackets if you plan on upgrading

For batteries, I use 2 lifeline GPL-8DL agm batteries. huge suckers, but I know a ton of people use the xs power ones too

I dont plan on upgrading, Just bought the system this month straight from DD in okc.

Alternator, and a big battery. XS for batteries, DC power for alts.

What output should i look to get for the alternator, and how many batteries? replace my starter battery and get another for my system?

you need to upgrade your amps too the aqs can take that much power each easily

I might do that later but as of right now im satisfied with 2400

Edited by Sethorama

I would go with an alt and extra batteries...Dc power has been legit imo. Do you plan on upgrading and adding more amps? I would just go with the 270xp or dual brackets if you plan on upgrading For batteries, I use 2 lifeline GPL-8DL agm batteries. huge suckers, but I know a ton of people use the xs power ones too
I dont plan on upgrading, Just bought the system this month straight from DD in okc.
What output should i look to get for the alternator, and how many batteries? replace my starter battery and get another for my system?
you need to upgrade your amps too the aqs can take that much power each easily
I might do that later but as of right now im satisfied with 2400

Well first off, I'll say I wouldn't play it at full tilt till you get it straightened out.. dropping that low can damage your equipment. Second, I'm not knowledgeable on the battery/alternators. I can tell you you can keep the stock battery, and MOST likely get another battery from XS going to have to be big.. hopefully someone with some more knowledge will step in and help you out.

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

At best no more than 25 percent over the idle amperage of current draw of the amps. that is what I was taught. so like say for example, you have an alt that idles at 200, your current draw from all of your amps and factory things like ac or other electronics should not be more than 250 amps. This is a general guideline, assuming that your amps eat up that much power, not taking in to account box rise and other factors.

my setup isn't like that because there is no dual alt bracket, and I don't want to remove my ac just yet to fit a 2nd alt. that is why I loaded up on the batteries, and I should actually have 1 more lifeline batt

Edited by watabeast

the biggest you can afford :twirl:

*current*

1991 honda crx si

2 skar audio 12s

pioneer 6.5s

dual 400 watt amp

audio technix

db 1/0 wiring kit.

dual head unit