Have you checked your coolant level? If it is going anywhere, then you could have a head gasket going bad. It could be going bad between the cylinders and not a cylinder and the coolant passage....

The brownish / rusty looking stuff around the business end of your plug is a bit worrisome about the head gasket issue...

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

ngk plugs r fine in domestics, thats the one of the dumber things ive heard. Swap injectors like you did coil packs, or go rent a compression tester from autozone. The intake gaskets on these truck are prone to leaking, but theres no coolant goin throught them so its an easy change,

^^^Agreed

We have been using NGK V-power on LS1 enignes for ever, and with nitrous too so dont say they dont work on domestic engines. I personally dont like iridium cause the electrode is so damn small. and the pic of the two plugs posted are two different heat ranges. testing the resistance of an injector wont tell you if it is clogged, just if the electromagnet is good or not. more diagnosis is required.

you can listen to injectors with a stethoscope. they should all sound similar. if injector on cylinder 8 not sounding like the rest pull the fuel rail a bit to get the injector out and use some sort or spray cleaner like throttle body cleaner with the straw and spraw the hell out of the injector on both ends. You might as well do it to all of them take your time. Good luck.

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found out it was a bad injector. I took it to goodyear and they checked the plugs, wires, coils and then swapped injector 8 with 2 and the misfire moved. They were going to charge $300 on top of the $125 "diagnostic" fee to fix it. After that sticker shock I just went to oriellys and picked up a new injector for $150 and changed it myself.

After I did that amongst other things I paid $30 to use a stall at the auto hobby shop on base and it's running fine (for now) I noticed a little fuel on the line that connects the 2 fuel rails on the opposite side so I'll address that later but for the mean time no codes and I saved some cash.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I changed the injector I've still noticed the engine had a small stutter at idle it's like it bogs down a tiny bit and catches back up even when the engine is warm. I cleaned out the throttle body with carb cleaner, the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner, cleaned and re-oiled the intake filter.

I sprayed carb cleaner around the injectors and intake manifold and it didn't idle any different. My guess is it could be the intake gasket needs to be replaced. Any ideas?

Archived