Sundown Audio

is amp fried?

qcbangin

i have been running an AA mayhem on a hifonics BXi2610 for about a month or two. it has been in a trunk, so today i decided to move it to my backseat and see what it would sound like. BIG mistake. everything was running fine today until i unhooked it to move it. when i went to hook it back up, something went wrong. the amp has never been dropped, and all connections went to the right outputs. i plugged up the remote wire first, then the power wire, and finally the ground. as soon as i touched the ground to it's output, i heard a few faint pops, and then smoke. now the amp is in protect, and starts to smoke everytime i attempt to hook itup. what the hell could have caused this? like i said, no wires were crossed, so i'm lost. any help please. i know hifonics isn't the best brand, but this amp was a beast and defenitely made the mayhem work. also, don't really have the funds to replace it, either. anyone know who could fix it cheap?

Not real sure, you could have got what they call amp killers in it..amp killers are loose stands off power or ground cable that come off and some how find there way into the amp.....maybe when you moved it around it or they got into the board, just a guess, i had a HFBRZ1200.1 that i had this happen to............

• Minivanfromhell -- Proud Member of Shut It Down Boyz & GEORGIA CAR AUDIO

Pioneer DEH-3400-UB

Vega 65 cs & 1" tweets & T3 4" coax in Front

1- Dual 300 with an AQ sticker

2-AQ sdc2.5 12's

1- AQ 1200D.1

Monster Cable RCA's

Monster Cable 4-awg

Custom 4 th order box ( by DBC )

Crescendo FT1's in rear- 1/0 Big Three

Opti Blue top in back for Mono Amp

Stinger Power dis. block

125 amp breaker at front batt.

Stock Alt.

Not real sure, you could have got what they call amp killers in it..amp killers are loose stands off power or ground cable that come off and some how find there way into the amp.....maybe when you moved it around it or they got into the board, just a guess, i had a HFBRZ1200.1 that i had this happen to............

x2. this is a possibility. even one copper strand a millimeter long in the wrong place can wreck a board.

since the amp is dead (and if its not under warranty) then i would open it up for "fun" and inspect closely at anything odd or that shouldn't be there.

are you sure that the power connections at the amp itself weren't frayed and didn't bridge across the terminals?

Archived