So I need to replace 5th gear in my 87 accord. There isn't a lot of info out there or parts for that matter. Anyway, on to my question. My transmission is the A2 manual 5 speed, i found this thread http://www.g1teg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35945, and it shows a gear swap on a CG tranny. I have the same cover plate on mine and am wondering if this technique would work for my transmission. All i will be doing is putting in a new 5th the same as mine,

I really don't have the budget to completely rebuild the tranny and don't want to tear it down completely just for 5th gear

Just get another tranny. No use tearing it apart to replace one gear, when you should rebuild the whole thing while you have it open.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

wow, this is probably the wrong forum for this type of question.

Odds are you will have to tear it down pretty far to replace a mainshaft gear.

I would postpone the rebuild unless you have another car to drive while its torn down and see what else you may need to replace.

If your gonna do it, do it right.

Wow that thread makes the swap actually seem really simple. I would say go for it. hell of a lot cheaper than a new tranny. And since 5th gear is already busted it's not like you can make it any worse! That's the motto I use to fix things.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

huh, i just noticed there are 3 replies here. This post sat dead for a good bit so i almost gave up on it. I did post in that other thread, bur it requires a moderator approval first. It's going to cost me about 750 to rebuild it not including a clutch and getting the flywheel resurfaced/replaced. So that's just not an option right now since i am dumping a crapload of money into reroofing my house.

Thanks for the replies though.