Explaining how we don't get hearing damage from bass

i just chalk it up to tolerance.

just like drug addicts need more drug to get like their "first time high"

audiophiles build up immunities to bass.

its how i like to think of it ^_^

'08 Chevy Cobalt coupe 2.2 base model trunk build:

2 9512iSC flatwound alum 1.5 coils

-extra 9500 spider pack

-8" platinum carbon dustcaps

1 DD Z1 (.375ohm nominally daily)

3g31 AGM

320a Ohio Gen alt

1 DD S4 4 channel

4 VO-M8v1's (holes cut for 3rd pair)

2 CS 6.5's

2 VO-B1's

Sony XAV-601BT

all Knu Krystal RCA's

Cadence 7band EQ

148.3db @ 32hz (burp)

148.4 @ 37 & 38hz (burp)

146.xdb 90sec average (center windshield)

We do get hearing damage from bass, but only much slower then with high frequencies.

Why is that? Because the higher the frequency, the more energy(=force) the wave has.

Lower frequencies are low energy waves.

A 6000hz wave at 120db is more powerful then a 50hz frequency wave at 120db. The force per period in the sinusfunction is the same, but as everyone knows you have the high frequency which has (6000/50=) 120times more periods per second. So the 6000hz wave is only needs to have 1/120th of the force per period in the sinusfunction to achieve the same labor/work.

If we put this into dB's a 6000hz wave at 120db has the same labor/work as a 50hz wave at 141db.

But we also should forget the eardrum, it likes to resonate aroud 2-3khz, so that adds more strain on the eardrum and the rest of the ear canal.(that can make the difference even bigger.)

The eardrum will flex more then at 5-6khz at the same intensity(dB) so the energy going to your eardrum is higher then a higher tone. The movement of the eardrum and the speed in which it flexes represent the amount of labor/waork your ear can handle. The labor/work at 120db and 2-3khz will be higher then the labor/work at 5-6khz at 120db.

You can see it as if you try to rip a paper in a port, you need the paper to move more at a lower freq to make it rip then at a higher frequency.

(i hope i explained everything if not, ask, it's already 23:20 hour where i live and i worked long.)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived