Sonic Electronix

Ok so this is the first time I'm amping some mids/highs in my car using a 4 channel amplifier. I have 2 infinity reference 6x9s by an SSL F400. I bought one of those cheap amp hookup kits from walmart just to fill in the gap for wiring I didnt have. (8gauge power and rcas) I got really bad engine noise at first through the 6x9s. I troubleshoot and made a new ground for the headunit to the chastity of the car, also made a new ground for the amp to go to the same ground my battery in the trunk is grounded to. (strut ground) the engine noise was reduced but is still present. everything sounds good, but there is still some audible distortion. I have a pair of stinger bass blockers on these 6x9s supposed to block 0-300 hz @ 4 ohm, but I'm pretty sure 6x9s are 2 ohm. (it never said on the box but from what i Looked up they seem to be 2 ohm, and ohmage meter doesnt seem to want to cooperate) I have an hc1800 in the trunk strut ground with 0 gauge. up front theres an duralast platinum with big 3 upgrade, fuse block, engine ground, alt power, strut ground, all 1/0 and 0. Bass: powering an Fi Q with a mmats d300hc. door speakers are not amped therefor no alt wind is audible through them. does the RCAS used in the application make a difference? ex. using a 20$pair of stinger RCAS compared to these cheap walmart scosche stuff..I bought a new pair even though I've established that it wasnt the rcas to make the noise, isnt headunit, and isnt amp ground, but it still may be the config I have my grounds..leave to open conversation for troubleshoot.

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

Double check to make sure no power cables are next to any signal wires. And yes rca's make a difference. Get a good set that is shielded and maybe twisted.

I got a new pair of stinger 4000 series installed now, and theres still alt noise. Power wires are not near the rcas, everything is ran on separate sides of the car. could it be my power wire running next to the amp behind the carpet? Should I need to run a wire from negative battery front to back battery instead of it grounded on the frame? When I put the ground to the mp on same ground as the battery in rear it reduced the noise slightly. I'm clueless..ugh.

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

i'm using those cheap walmart scoshe rca's. 2 sets to the rear, one goes to my sub amp, one to my fosgate ep2x, then two sets from my fosgate ep2x to my mids amp. i have zero engine noise. I'm not saying they are the best, but i don't have engine noise. And you may have factory wiring running next to your rca's that could be causing the noise.

Archived