Digital Multimeter Help

RAGU408

how can you test your digital multimetter to see if it works? i just bought one an i have my subs ( 2 dual 4ohm subs alpine type r's) wired to a 1ohm load and my multimeter says its at 2.5 ohms?? did i wire them wrong? or is the multimeter i got bad?http://www.iequus.com/Product/3320/Auto-Ranging-DMM this is the one i bought for $20 at walmart?

touch the probes together and see what it says on the meter. subtract the number (if not 0) from the load you get on your subs. thats the true ohm load.

some cheaper dmm's (like my $4 one) have an internal resistance, which is shown when you touch the probes together. mine has a resistance of like .7 or something, so it throws off the impedance of speakers. but all you do is subtract that number

Yes i just tested the probes together an it doesnt stay still on one reading it goes from .2 all the way to sometimes even 3.6 it does not stay still on just one reading. did i get a bad ddm? i will upload pictures of how i have my subs wired up to make sure i did everything right.

Archived