Second Skin Audio

Sorry for the late reply, PM has been replied to. :drink40:

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to know what was recommended to him since my 07 yukon also has a very flimsy roof that rattles a lot with my two 15's.

Like was full coverage recommended or just pieces and if so what model damplifier and such.

1st Setup(SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

SImply put, sound deadening was not designed to kill or prevent flex. The material is just much too thin and flexible.

Sound deadener was designed to control and reduce panel resonance/structural borne noise.

Flex is caused by air pressure which is a completely different force.

This doesn't mean sound deadener can't or won't help reduce or control flex. With 100% coverage with a quality product you are creating a barrier which does aid in preventing flex, it's inefficient but works.

A better solution such as reinforcing the roof with wood or metal bracing would work much better but not everyone is able to do so.

So with all of that said, the best solution for controlling flex with sound deadener is to use a product such as our Damplifier Pro or Alpha Damp since both of these products are relatively thick and have a strong constraining layer (foil).

Make sense?

Edited by Second Skin Rep Jon

usa_render4.png

Yeah it makes sense but my main thing is not really controlling the flex more of making my bass sound better and cleaner.

Right now when my bass is turned up i get a very plastic tinniness sound and my rear side fenders where the trunk is also seem to expand from the outside when the bass hits. This area is also where i want to deaden first but only if it will help with the sound of the bass im getting.

I can live with flex no problem just want to find a way to make my bass sound better so is a thick deadener the way?

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

If flex isn't the issue and you're just looking for cleaner bass without the tinniness, I'd suggest just going with some Damp or Damp Pro. 25% coverage on each panel. Maybe a little bit more on the roof or any really any area that is really flat.

I'd also suggest taking a look at getting some closed cell foam behind the trim if you have some rattles and squeaks.

usa_render4.png

25% sounds like i really wont need much right?

I was thinking of getting like 10-20 square feet just to start since i have never done it so i dont want to buy more than i need, also im not trying to do the roof just too many electrical things on a 2007 yukon for now.

I want to definitely do the rear side fenders and maybe just a little around the front 6.5 mid speakers on the doors just to see what happens as far as sound goes, thats it so 10 to 20 square feet to start is a little too much or too little? This was my last question thanks for answering everything.

You're welcome, always glad to answer these questions.

Yeah 25% coverage saves you a ton of time, effort, and money.

10-20 sq. ft. would work, but you may find yourself running a bit short. On larger doors such as those on a Yukon, you'd be surprised how fast the material goes even when treating just 25%.

Personally I would opt for a bulk pack of Damp Pro (36.5 sq. ft.) or a 40 sq. ft. pack of Damplifier. Either way this would give you plenty for the rear quarter panels, doors, and really any other areas you come across (tailgate maybe. :)).

usa_render4.png

You really need way, WAY more than anyone recommends, I bought a 36 square foot pack for a lil' Acura 2005 RL and I couldn't even do the whole trunk with it. The trunk was curved as hell though. GET WAY EXTRA! Running out after a day of hardwork and everything torn up sucks...bad.

wooohoo!

-Acura RL 2005. Blue.

-Stinger Expert Roadkill..Trunk only

-(2) Skar VVX-12's D4 coils

-Dual slot ported to the left custom box tuned @ 32hz

-Audioque 1200D amplifier

A tribe called quest... ftw

You really need way, WAY more than anyone recommends, I bought a 36 square foot pack for a lil' Acura 2005 RL and I couldn't even do the whole trunk with it. The trunk was curved as hell though. GET WAY EXTRA! Running out after a day of hardwork and everything torn up sucks...bad.

i did almost my whole damn car with a 20sqft alpha damp pack. So no, he doesn't need way, WAY more than anyone recommends. Did you miss the part where you do NOT need 100% coverage?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69