Loud Selenium try-out, a couple of 10PW3 & Super Tweeter's ST300

Yirgacheffe

Thanks for your input. I ordered this speakers and are going to begin to try with this, but it's not necessarily the final and I can allways buy others later if this fails big time and in my ears only sounds like crap.

The reason for PA equipment in the front of the car is to play loud and also quite far. In my opinion the subwoofers works well up to at least 100Hz, and for now I like the eights in horn box but if I want more I can choose to use my two DD9518, being powered by my four JBL GTO24001 and with up to ten Oerlikon UPS batteries (920A) to support power to the caraudio.

Maybe not to great to try to explain in english how I think about this but I will try :

Assuming that the pitch looks like a small ditch in the frequency curve, many drivers will make the pit flattened and that the frequency response at the same time becomes flatter instead of looking like a ditch, literally.

Signal is controlled by Audison Bit1 and with it I can play around with settings to improve, that's my idea to try but ofs I'm greatful for input that leads forward to play loud and a bit of SQ to hopefully.

Thanks for your input. I ordered this speakers and are going to begin to try with this, but it's not necessarily the final and I can allways buy others later if this fails big time and in my ears only sounds like crap.

The reason for PA equipment in the front of the car is to play loud and also quite far. In my opinion the subwoofers works well up to at least 100Hz, and for now I like the eights in horn box but if I want more I can choose to use my two DD9518, being powered by my four JBL GTO24001 and with up to ten Oerlikon UPS batteries (920A) to support power to the caraudio.

Maybe not to great to try to explain in english how I think about this but I will try :

Assuming that the pitch looks like a small ditch in the frequency curve, many drivers will make the pit flattened and that the frequency response at the same time becomes flatter instead of looking like a ditch, literally.

Signal is controlled by Audison Bit1 and with it I can play around with settings to improve, that's my idea to try but ofs I'm greatful for input that leads forward to play loud and a bit of SQ to hopefully.

Your English is a LOT better than most members of this forum, or in America today. :lol: Definitely tuned in for sure. Let me know how it works, may give them a try.

POTATO!

This Wednesday, that's when I can pick up my new packages. I will begin and mount my selenium in solving vented boxes but I expect to also try and test some closed.

Later on when I figured out the best way to post pictures here, there'll be some to.

While I plan to build another subwoofer box for eight eights I wonder why my iPad3 like to spell bitch insteed of birch. Btw, another thing is we don't use inch much here in Scandinavia so most of the stuff I'll write will be in millimetre. Multiplie by 2,54 to get out the dimensions in inches, if you think numbers look odd.

If you calculated and you think that the construction is complete failure and got a better idea, please tell.

Begun listening and have say that this might not be the ultimate speakerboxes, because I've builded the recommended box to begin listening and testing with.

Configuration of HPF and LPF as described in post before (scroll up to read)

From the first notes I can tell that these speakers can be very loud and I got to write a big WARNING to those who listen to them, be careful of your ears and do not blow your hearing. This combination can play uncomfortably loud, and quite clearly totally unhealthy strong to, but if you sit next to them I not to sure that one would want to turn up the dB to much. Fun part is... I'm only using one pair of tens and one pair of super tweeter's to begin this test with.

Playing Dire Straits "On Evert street" (24bit) and 2012 competition disc's from EMMA (SQ and SPL) and dB DRA (dB Drag, Bass Race, Psychlone), Dream Theater "A dramatic turn of events" and a couple of audiophile albums.

This might not be SQ or an Audiophiles first choice, but it's far to early to say and be completly convinced about it. Besides that new speakers could change caracter a bit when "worn in", the rest is up to mounting/filters/boxes and tweeks when going for gold.

As I said before one thing is sure. They're loud, very loud and there'll be more to come in this thread about this setup and try-out!

Today is all about listening and contemplate, picked up the boxes and got them connected to my home cinema for a day with bluray movies and concerts. Changed the port tuning to 80Hz to match the subwoofers at home. Speakers are powered by Acurus A-250 at home.

Selenium ST300 datasheet : http://iakn.com/PDFs/ST300_i.pdf

Selenium 10PW3 datasheet : http://iakn.com/PDFs/10PW3_i.pdf

Information about Acurus A-250 : http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/acurus/a250/prd_116262_1583crx.aspx

Out of the box these speakers don't sound as clear as they can do and you also get faster transients after a few days of playing, at least I did when I got them on repeat since last post. It's no problem to listen and hear the differens between the kick and the bass sound and voices sounds natural to if you taking into account the Doppler effect and not cuts the base to low.

At lower volume levels around 80dB you don't feel the midbass driver much but because they have such a high sensitivity it's no problem to turn up the volume really high. I usually use hearing protection when I do this and then you can feel the hits of the bass firmly on your chest. I think two tens in each door under the right conditions could be able to produce more energy than most people can endure and it's really no need to get three pairs of the 10PW3 when listening to music even if someone is half deaf, in my opinion.

Greatest concern now is that I want them at home to. Quite nice speakers and especially for being so loud and cheap. I like this setup, but remember that these are my words to describe how I feel about the speakers under my conditions.

A proper installation is always a requirement!

Any thoughts from SMD members?

Im interested in the 6 inch seleniums since I'm lacking a little in the midrange. What crossover setting you think these would need to get their loudest and clearest? I don't need them for bass at all so I would hpf them at 125 but then to what frequency on the high end? And how if my amp doesn't bandpass?

1st Setup(SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

I'm sorry but I haven't tried 6 inch Seleniums to much so I wouldn't know for sure, but there's a couple of threads about some. For eg these if you haven't read them yet and now I guess your talking about the 6W4P and maybe not the 6W16P/6 MB 8A/6 MB 11A :

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68773-selenium-6w4p-6-woofer/

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/71677-selenium-6w4p/

Parts-express : http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-422

Found this pdf : http://www.selenium.com.br/site/assets/produtosfinal/274_pdfManual.pdf

You might get both faster and more accurate information by asking some of the people who's using them. If you like to please tell how it works out.

Archived