jasonw30 Posted December 24, 2007 Report Posted December 24, 2007 free-air, it is easy to have a sub reach it's limits a lot easier than in a box, for that matter I had my dual 4 s15L7 free air wired at 8 ohms when I first got it wired to a home audio amp and I could get it to get to full excursion at less than half volume, probably only giving it 50 watts, so... you might have just been pushing it too hard, I'd suggest not doing anything free-air... wait on the box x2....you can burn them real quick that way. Quote 2002 nissan frontier crewcab eclipse cd2000 mb quart prem's fr&rear rf p4004
loganuf Posted December 24, 2007 Author Report Posted December 24, 2007 I get a burning smell from my 2 l7 subs after they play around 30 min. I think it's just the voice coils heating up. Oh ok. So free air=bad lol. Yeah, my 12 L5 had some mad excursion. Alright thanks guys. I feel a lot better now. Quote 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition: Alpine CDA 9883 2x 18" DC lvl 4 D2 10.7 cu ft box 33hz knu 1/0 wire amp: Kicker ZX2500.1 Kinetik
jasonw30 Posted December 24, 2007 Report Posted December 24, 2007 Oh ok. So free air=bad lol. Yeah, my 12 L5 had some mad excursion. Alright thanks guys. I feel a lot better now. wait on that box bro, and you will be fine. Quote 2002 nissan frontier crewcab eclipse cd2000 mb quart prem's fr&rear rf p4004
codi Posted December 25, 2007 Report Posted December 25, 2007 i have kinda of expierienced that not so good smell with my 12" L5. im not sure if its from my sub though, like when i listen to hypnotize at like 27 which is usually the limit for most songs for my volume, like i have smelled my amp and nothing and i try smelling air from the port on my box but still doesnt really smell, i was gonna ask a while ago but then forgot to Quote
Polecat Posted December 28, 2007 Report Posted December 28, 2007 when new, glue smell can be common. After break in is done, and you still smell coil, re-adjust and lower gains. Quote Behind every great man....is an underwear tag!
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.