Help wiring an LED rocker switch!!!

maybe you can try it this way

5Xcp-19.jpg

that looks like the same, except the accessory and the power are switched?

That could have been what you did wrong.

If the power and acc are switched then the LED side of the switch could get constant power regardless of switch position. The switch will still work fine otherwise.

thats what i was thinking cuz i have an illuminated rocker switch not like yours but where the entire thing lights up and when i first got it it had the same problem i tried it like this(basically) and it works like its supposed to

I'll give this a try, I know some of the cheapo switches (radioshack) don't label the leads so it's a guessing game as to which is right or not lol

If that doesn't work you could always use a relay and use 30 to supply the 12v switched and use your amp turn on to trigger the relay from terminal 86...

So relay would look like this:

85 ground

86 12v switched

87 12v constant

30 output to the 12v switched side of the switch

Or like others said get a switch that works >.> I just ordered up some that look exactly like that and I'm hoping not to have to use relays on them to keep them from illuminating constantly...

If I get a new switch and it doesn't work the way I want then I will just buy an unilluminated toggle switch :glare:

But that takes the fun out of it!

If you have a wiring diagram then that would make things a lot easier. I'm a mechanical engineer, electrical can be confusing to me sometimes lol. I only do simple circuits right now

maybe you can try it this way

5Xcp-19.jpg

that looks like the same, except the accessory and the power are switched?

That could have been what you did wrong.

If the power and acc are switched then the LED side of the switch could get constant power regardless of switch position. The switch will still work fine otherwise.

thats what i was thinking cuz i have an illuminated rocker switch not like yours but where the entire thing lights up and when i first got it it had the same problem i tried it like this(basically) and it works like its supposed to

I'll give this a try, I know some of the cheapo switches (radioshack) don't label the leads so it's a guessing game as to which is right or not lol

lol yeah the only thing you have to remember ground is never center still got a burn on my hand from finding that out the hard way

http://www.youtube.c...e1?feature=mheehttp://www.stevemead...87#entry1993187

JVC KD-R530 head unit

VVME INNO-D1500 sub amp

Kenwood KAC-8402 amplifierPioneer 2-way 6.5 X2 @ 4 ohms

DTI Audio 6.5 X2 @ 4 ohmsbox: 4.24 ft^3 tuned to 61 hertz (port walls fell off and dissapeared :( )

I would think that it would have to be the switch. If you wired according to the diagram, then it should work.

Maybe before tossing the switch, wire the "power" to the yellow wire from your deck (switched 12V) therefore the switch would ONLY be seeing 12V power to operate when the radio is powered up.

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

I would think that it would have to be the switch. If you wired according to the diagram, then it should work.

Maybe before tossing the switch, wire the "power" to the yellow wire from your deck (switched 12V) therefore the switch would ONLY be seeing 12V power to operate when the radio is powered up.

I never thought of doing that, I hate wiring behind the HU but it needs to happen. check out my build log, bro

I never thought of doing that, I hate wiring behind the HU but it needs to happen. check out my build log, bro

Just to let you know the Yellow wire from an aftermarket head unit is 12v constant. Red is 12v switched.

wouldn't you just need a 2 prong switch? I dont see the need for the ground just something that completes the circut, I mean you're just using this for the turn on lead, right?

Clarion CZ401

Power Acoustik LT-980/2

dbLink 8 gauge kit

DXi 104 4 ohm DVC x2

Sealed Enclosure

wouldn't you just need a 2 prong switch? I dont see the need for the ground just something that completes the circut, I mean you're just using this for the turn on lead, right?

yes, but I want an illuminated toggle switch, which has 3 prongs, not as simple

so the red (power) behind the HU will activate the switch when the HU is turned one?

Yes, it's the same as switched power.

thanks, I always thought that it was the red had constant power and yellow was switched

Archived