Pro Audio Guys! 12/18's or 15/18's?

Alright, I LOVE my ELX's, but I've been thinking about purchasing another pair of the 15's for mains (along with another pair of subs), or getting more 12's and using the 15's as drum monitors, and just going with 4 12's in the front with 8 18's (eventually, 4 for now), so those that have used a main PA, what do you think?

POTATO!

do you have any tweeters to go with the 12's? I love the sound of 3 way systems. Ill throw up a some pics for you of what im currently running. The biggest advantage to me with having 3 way systems is that i can do as many variations of PAs as i need. I can have multiple systems out at once or I can run them all as one big set up

this is in one of the general gigs i do regularly

2 x 18's, 3 x 15's, 2 x 12's and a horn each side. This is my basic rig and sound nice and crisp. Normally it doesnt have the 3rd 15, i cant recall why this one does, might of been the room.

rehursalroom.jpg

a smallish outdoor gig back in 2009, for a uni's orientation day

Same system as the one above just stacked differently so it went a lil further because it was a outdoor gig

ausmg.jpg

This was a larger outdoor gig.

it has 6 x 18's, 6 x 15's, 4 x 12's and 2 compression drivers.

The two 18's that are sitting on top of the other 4 to the sides got turned off. they muddled the sound to much and i didnt like the sound of them, I was happy to sacrifice a little bit of bottom end for cleanness

raceday.jpg

and this is the biggest rig that I can do with out sub hiring equipment.

yes that is 4 x 18's, 4 x 15's, 8 x 12's and 4 x 1.5" compression drivers per side! along with 8 x 18's on the floor in front of stage, I used the center box of their array to give me a little bit of centre fill as there was a big dead spot.

I am so proud of this rig. this is the only time ive ever run it all together like this and god dam it was loud! super crisp aswel.

centralcitychurch.jpg

im not sure if you hire out your rig or not but might be something to think about, being able to supply different setups. Make sure you have correct crossovers and you will be fine! I know the elx's you have are active so im not sure how one would stack active speakers to get the effect because obviously they all have tweeters in them so you might find it not sounding as good as it can. Was there a reason you went active over passive?

I actually have some of the elx112p speakers that i use for monitors and small vocal PA's for corporal events. They are indeed very very nice speakers. I would buy more at the drop of a hat if i had to replace anything but none of my stuff wants to die hah.

Idk if anything i said helped at all but whatever haha

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

Haha, they technically are 3-way (2" HF driver, 12/15" woofer, and the 18" subs). I stuck with the active speakers because they draw very little current, less wiring to run, less stuff to haul around, and they just plainly sound great! I wouldn't really be stacking a whole lot, like I said, it would just be 4 12/15's and 8 18's, mainly for larger events. 2 15's and 2 18's does small bands just fine with no problems at all. I'm trying to find a setup I can use anywhere. These will probably stack with no problem, just don't have a need to, yet. I like having a modular setup.

POTATO!

Haha, they technically are 3-way (2" HF driver, 12/15" woofer, and the 18" subs). I stuck with the active speakers because they draw very little current, less wiring to run, less stuff to haul around, and they just plainly sound great! I wouldn't really be stacking a whole lot, like I said, it would just be 4 12/15's and 8 18's, mainly for larger events. 2 15's and 2 18's does small bands just fine with no problems at all. I'm trying to find a setup I can use anywhere. These will probably stack with no problem, just don't have a need to, yet. I like having a modular setup.

Have you got any pics of your current rig set up? I know that when im mixing with my active rig which is a single 18, 15 and a horn that I can struggle to get the vocals up loud enough expecially girls. Because the 15 likes to do low notes compared to a 12 the gtars and drums easily over take the vocals. but then i lightly compress the vocals and its allgood after saying this i still prefer 15's haha

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

Have you got any pics of your current rig set up? I know that when im mixing with my active rig which is a single 18, 15 and a horn that I can struggle to get the vocals up loud enough expecially girls. Because the 15 likes to do low notes compared to a 12 the gtars and drums easily over take the vocals. but then i lightly compress the vocals and its allgood after saying this i still prefer 15's haha

Here's the only one I have up at the moment, while it was set up at the house for school, lol

421761_10151378348560512_690720511_23677795_1815320166_a.jpg

I had a couple from a gig I did a while ago, but I don't know where they floated off to. I'm going to give the 12's a try vs the 15's when they get here and see which I like better. 12's make a bit more sense to me, but it's hard to tell, lol.

By the way, added your page on Facebook.

POTATO!

hah thanks for the add. i wondered who it was, we are slowly getting better at updating that page lol. Its definatly a listen and learn type thing ae. I hope they work out good for ya

hah thanks for the add. i wondered who it was, we are slowly getting better at updating that page lol. Its definatly a listen and learn type thing ae. I hope they work out good for ya

That's all you can do in the audio world. That's how I've gotten this far. Lol. Same here, it's looking good so far.

POTATO!

• 3 weeks later...

My FOH systems are technically 5-way.

4 way tops plus subs.

315565_2174644601128_725199523_n.jpg

Ha ha real funny :peepwall::lol: I was actually thinking about this topic today...I've decided to get a second set of subs so I have dual 18's on both sides, just trying to decide if I want to keep the 15's at FOH, or use them for lead & drummer foldback, and use the 12's...Guess I'll find out on the 15th :lol:

POTATO!

Archived