Audi A4 Avant - 2 Fi SP4 15 - SPL Dynamics D6 (6kwrms) - Dual 210a Alts [Boot Install]

Once the air con pump was removed Sonnie then got an alternator of the same size as the 210a and offered it up into the newly created crevice and found that there was plenty of room under there and that fitting an alternator wouldn't require any additional work removing any obstructing engine parts. This was a great relief as it could have been much BIGGER job, but it appears these engines are ideal for dual alts.

Then we waited till 11am for the fabricator to come round and discuss the best way to make the bracket. Conan, the fabricator, turned up and had a look along with Sonnie.

3dac81c1.jpg

(just to note, this is the only picture I got of Sonnie on the day, even then his face is hidden behind my front wheel lol)

The plan was to make the first bracket for the front mounts, get that fitted and adjusted accordingly then make up a L bracket for the rear mounts. As the front mounts would be taking most of the stress and weight the bracket would need to be made of 10mm high grade steel. Whilst Conan went back to make the first bracket up we decided it was time to grab some breakfast from the cafe down the road. By the time we returned the bracket had been made and was being fitted and fine tuned.

52939571.jpg

Giving birth to 210a of greatness.

4c8b5f8b.jpg

Once the front bracket was sorted Conan cracked on and got the second one made up. Again it needed fine tuning but within about 20 minutes the alternator was securely fitted and pretty much bang on in line with all the other pulleys.

Down blouse and up skirt shots.

921b5820.jpg

fb9937a0.jpg

Obviously a new shorter belt was needed to be fitted. Grove stock a load of belts, I think they'd managed to get a xx55mm belt on but it was a bit too tight and they didn't have any longer sizes in stock. Within about half an hour a motorbike turned up with 3 more belts, hoorah! A correct size belt was found and fitted.

11e9926d.jpg

e63f9b1b.jpg

It was all up and running perfectly. The alternator hadn't be wired up yet, I wasn't able to source any wiring in time - I did contact bassboy on the day, as it would have been a simple job of just collecting the wiring from him, whilst he had some wiring for what ever reason he was unable to supply me with any at that moment in time, admittedly this was a shame. However my main priority was getting the alternator physically mounted and fitted, if there are any niggles further down the line then that's something I'll deal with. So far though I've done a few thousand miles since having the second alt fitted and I haven't experience any issues or difficulties with the actual belt, but that could change once I apply a load on the alts.

The alternator will be wired up once my installer gets his hands on it.

By about 5:00pm we were back on our way.

An hour or two later we were back on the magical M1, around junction 11 we started to notice some smoke...

0279319b.jpg

9921a1a1.jpg

Seems like a pickup truck had caught alight, luckily the fire brigade were on the scene pretty sharpish. By 9:00pm we were back home, 8 and a half hours of driving and 407 miles later.

This bit may be irrelevant to most of you but just in case there's any UK bassheads reading this...

If anyone ever needs anything alternator/starter motor or even just general car electrics related Grove Autoparts is the place to contact, especially if you're located in the London area. Sonnie and his team are very knowledgeable and mechanically capable. They have all sorts of diagnostic and testing tools to trace any problems you have and have a huge store of parts in the back. I know some members on here have been a bit frustrated when trying to contact Sonnie, usually getting told to call back later or being told Sonnie will call them back soon, but believe me Sonnie is a very busy man.

I have a feeling that Sonnie had let us jump the queue in terms of the work he had on so he could get our car done in a day. Besides the Golf there was also two BMWs waiting to be worked on and another car was being dropped off on the weekend, alongside other people turning up during the day dropping alts/starter motors off and picking up other parts.

A big thank you to the team at Grove, I had the 3 mechanics alongside Sonnie working on the car from 10am till around 4:30pm and only got billed for 3 hours of labour. Furthermore Sonnie's hospitality was spot on, we had free reign of the unit, supplied us with some chairs to sit out in the sun and even offered to lend us a car during the day so we could sample the delights of Mitcham. A big thank you to Conan (of Conan Study Blacksmith) as well, his fabricating skills are top notch and uses the best materials out there.

Now...what shall I reveal next?

Audi A4 Avant

Dual 210a Alts - Spl Dynamics D6 - 2 x Fi SP4 15

Boot Install

Meh might as well throw in a little update.

It's often said that the best way to get loud is with a termlab. Now I have no intention of competing in any specific format, so really the premium attached to a brand new termlab isn't worth it for me. I have seen some come up second hand at reasonable prices but they get snapped up quick. Off I went on the search for something that was cost effective yet accurate and consistent in results.

I came across something on one of the American forums which caught my eye.

http://www.spllabusa.com/

I know it started off in a Russian outfit and has gone through a few revisions in terms of visuals and websites. There's quite a few videos on youtube showing how they match up against a TL. They might not read bang on 100% against a TL sensor but they do provide consistent results and are usually within 0.1 of them. After all I doubt all TL sensors read exactly the same, age takes its toll on everything, even pressure sensors! If I do get hold of a TL I can always change the calibration on it to get them both matching.

After getting in contact with the US distributor I got a very good price on the LCD meter version, which doesn't actually require a computer for its operation, instead displays the results on a handheld meter. Of course I can still use a computer with it for more detailed readings but it is very convenient.

No pictures unfortunately

Audi A4 Avant

Boot Install

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the amp situation.

I already had a Rockford Fosgate T20001BD in my possession and was intending to purchase another and run them together. However my plans soon changed and I ended up getting 2 1.2500DXII from Matt (thejoose) Sprigg out of Big Black. Even that plan didn't last long as I'd decided that I'd rather just run one big monoblock than 2 smaller amps.

I set myself a budget and got hunting around. The Cadence line of monoblocks caught my eye and I got in contact with Barnie@Ardent for some pricing. In the mean time whilst looking for other stockists of Cadence to gauge how much I'd be paying for something reasonably powerful I stumbled across cmsound's website and noticed he had a DD Z1 for sale. I remember these being pretty powerful but I also recalled all the issues people had with them. I'd seen Fangio (Dieter) recommend a company in Germany that knew the Z1 inside out so I got in contact with them.

Before I knew it Holger @ First Class Audio Service had taken some magic coins off me in return for a SPL Dynamics D6. Before dispatching the amp I also got Holger to give the amp a once over and prepare it structurally to be used in a streetbasser - so hopefully should hold up without any issues. I received the amp within a few days, which by any standards was quick, even more so considering it had made its way from Germany!

ed9da5f8.jpg

65ba74de.jpg

4a0d7d3f.jpg

So that's a nice 6k of steady power but what for ... clown.gif

Audi A4 Avant

Boot Install

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well update this thread

Sub selection is down to these

1 SP Audio

2 B2 XC

3 AA SMD

4 Crossfire XS v2

5 DC Level 5

6 DD Z

7 MTX 9500

8 TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400

9 Orion HCCA

10 GZPW SPL

11 Fi SP4

7d595e1b.jpg

Audi A4 Avant

Boot Install

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting!

03' NISSAN XTERRA

(1) AQ3500d

(1) AQ4x90

(1) Audio Control Line Driver

(4) DC LVL 4 15's

Cresendo Mids and Highs

100' of 0/guage

Big Three

Mechman 270a Charging @ 16.5v

(6) XS D1400's

Highest Termlab Score 149.9 at the kick & 166.1 in the Port/ on stock electrical and 1 DC XL M1

Updated JUNE 2012*****MY BUILD LOG

USACI REGION 6 POINTS LEADER 2011

USACI KANSAS RECORD HOLDER 2011

Team DC

dcletterhead.jpg

http://www.dcsoundlab.com/

That's awesome that you could fit dual alts on the motor, can't wait to see the rest of the build

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

Archived